Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a lot of topics on gestation periods, but can't find when a pigeon will began to lay eggs. I have young birds in my loft and want to give them the chance to multiply, but I don't know what age I should provide nesting bowls and start expecting eggs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Again, I have done searches and can't find the answer.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have found a lot of topics on gestation periods, but can't find when a pigeon will began to lay eggs. I have young birds in my loft and want to give them the chance to multiply, but I don't know what age I should provide nesting bowls and start expecting eggs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Again, I have done searches and can't find the answer.
It seems like my homers were about 6 months old when it started, you will notice when they start to pair up, then you can expect eggs, you can put the bowls out anytime to get them used to them, and perhaps they won't use the floor like some of mine do:p:) I think it is best to let them hatch babies when they mature more like at one year old or so, they can practice on fake eggs untill then.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I believe that they normally reach their sexual maturity at about 5 - 7 months of age. Not exactly sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It seems like my homers were about 6 months old when it started, you will notice when they start to pair up, then you can expect eggs, you can put the bowls out anytime to get them used to them, and perhaps they won't use the floor like some of mine do:p:) I think it is best to let them hatch babies when they mature more like at one year old or so, they can practice on fake eggs untill then.
They do reach sexually maturity at around 5 to 7 months, but they make better parents when they are about a year old, when they are emotionally mature.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Pigeons will breed and lay eggs as young as 4 months old. I never let one that young hatch eggs and raise babies. You don't ever know that they'll stick with the whole process at that age. Best to give anything younger than 8 months old some plastic eggs to practice with........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts