Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My father and I are new to pigeon's (6 months). Our pair just laid their first egg and wanted to know if someone could direct us as to the steps and procedures we need to do during the egg phase and after it hatches. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

G

·
Hello everyone,
My father and I are new to pigeon's (6 months). Our pair just laid their first egg and wanted to know if someone could direct us as to the steps and procedures we need to do during the egg phase and after it hatches. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
well just feed the parents well, food at all times in front of them and give them grit and they will do the rest ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
pigeon eggs

Hi

After The Baby's Are Born If You Want To Band Them The Band Need To Go On The Leg Of Baby's At About 7 To 10 Day Old Keep A Eye On The Band As Some Fall Of Just Put It Back On . And Keep A Eye On They Young As They Can Get Canker It Is A Yellow Stuff In The Back Of There Mouth It Can Be Treated. Most People Treat There Birds Before The Start Mated .

And If You Live Some Where Were The Water If Froze In The Morning It Need To Be Broke First Thing In The Morning Or The Mom Will Stay Off The Young Till She Find Water And The Baby's Will Freeze. But Do Not Throw The Baby;s Away Just Take Them In The House And Warm Them Up And Allot Of Time They Will Still Be Alive

Hope This Help Some

Thanks Vic

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sorianoda,
Hi :) Having eggs is so much FUN no? Congratz! Did they build their nest? Provide nesting materials, they always seem to want more. You will notice 1 of them sitting on the egg(s) during the day, usually the male. Provide adequate food and water. I try not to touch the egg/s too much..might make them abandon it/them. Some ppl use a light/candle to check if they are fertile [fertile eggs have a darker inside;devloping embryo I assume], I don't, (as I said I try to avoid touching them too much). Egg(s) should hatch in about 19-21 days (if fertile). I suggest posting a new thread then for advice. I relatively new also so far had 4 eggs but only 1 hatched, about 3 weeks old baby now. Wish you good luck and keep us posted. Peace. :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I find the best thing to do is leave them alone, a small croc of food in the nest box is appreciated. I think the one thing I was worried about at first was that the parent birds stop laying on the squab around 12 days old, when their feathers are coming out, I get worried they forgot their baby because they are already gearing up for the next round, but the cock will make sure the baby is fed, in winter you may want to check the baby at this point to make sure it does not get chilled. It is a good idea to band the baby so he has a number and the year he was hatched...need the right size though... good luck it is fun to watch.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hello everyone,
Hi Sorianoda,One thing that you need to know is the racing homer is a good parent and will do a good job of raising their young. When it comes to other breeds that may not always be true.Do you belong to a racing club,and do you plan to race birds?For the most part people that race DO NOT breed at this time of the year,and where they live does have a bearing on when they put their birds together for breeding.Birds that you raise this time of the year must be banded with this years band and will be aloud to race in old birds next year,but they will be only 5 or 6 months old. I live in southern California , and when I was racing I put my breeders together in DEC between 10 and 15 of Dec,If you live in the northern states you may need lights and heat to get your breeds ready for the breeding season and you would need advice from breeders in the area that you would be living in.I know that most of what I have said here will not have much to do with the eggs and raising of the chicks but I felt that you needed to know. ..GEORGE;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a pair of Racing Homer (old birds). They laid an egg, and then they escaped while I'm cleaning the loft (the egg just sit there for a week). I have other pair of King pigeon and they just laid 2 eggs couple days ago. I put the egg from Racing Homer together with the eggs of King pigeon. I just cross my finger and hope the egg will hatch :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I bought a pair of Racing Homer (old birds). They laid an egg, and then they escaped while I'm cleaning the loft (the egg just sit there for a week). I have other pair of King pigeon and they just laid 2 eggs couple days ago. I put the egg from Racing Homer together with the eggs of King pigeon. I just cross my finger and hope the egg will hatch :)
If the homers were sitting their eggs before they escaped, they would not be viable any longer, once the incubation starts and then stops for any reason the embryos die, so I would not leave the egg or eggs? under the kings. plus two babies are enough for any pair of birds. nothing wrong with fostering though if you do it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts