Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got 3 pairs of homers. I have set them up in breeding cages with nest boxes and now im waiting. I wanted to ask how often to breed them. Id like to get as big of a race kit as I can from them. How often should I let them breed and when should I seperate them for the year? When would I have to stop breeding to still be able to train the yb for the races?

all advise is welcome

Thanks in advance, Kimberly

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You can start now, and I would end by May. Once they get started, as long as you provide nesting materials and plenty of grit, they'll keep it up on their own. Once you feel you've got a good team going, you can separate them any time. 3 rounds (clutches) from each pair is what I usually go for, but since you only have 3 pairs, that wouldn't leave you with many young birds. I have a feeling club and combine members would gladly give you some young birds to add to your team though ;)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Well 3 pair figure 18 young birds For the year IF not using feeders. NOW jan is half gone So figure first round may hit the floor in march. if lucky 6 birds. Then second round hits the floor In late april. Those 2 rounds could race. BUT you would have say 12. The thrird round would be hitting the floor in lat may or early june. NOT old enough for the race season. SO It may be best NOT TO RACE this young bird season but train these birds for the old bird BUT pull them after the 300 or 400 mile not to over work the first year. AS with 12 birds aged enogh to race then training losses You may have just 6 to start a season with. Where that number would be very over worked. But just my thoughts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts