Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Percentage-wise, which is enjoyable, breeding or racing? Do you believe the sport is divided into two categories? Some are strictly breeders, while others are strictly racers. Which one are you?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Although I enjoy both, I LOVE squeakers! So breeding season is my personal favorite time of the year :)

I think there are definitely some who are better at breeding, training and racing. And of course the more fortunate ones have mastered all three. :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It is all connected. ALL breeders want to see the results of their efforts.
Some just like to watch the young grow, THAT is a Hobby breeder. True breeders need to see if they are on track, and improving the strain they are working on. Dave

·
Registered
628 Posts
For me it is racing and not the breeding that is more enjoyable. I dont like handling the little yellow fuzz, Im afraid Im going to hurt them. Now the rush of watching the bird drop out of the sky after waiting for 4 hrs or more is better than any drug you could get your hands on. :D

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Percentage-wise, which is enjoyable, breeding or racing? Do you believe the sport is divided into two categories? Some are strictly breeders, while others are strictly racers. Which one are you?
I have had to think about it for awhile.....drinking my coffee and trying to figure out what happened to the global warming this bitterly cold morning. Like Ken said, it is hard to beat that feeling when your heart skips a beat or two on race day as you see 20 of your YB's fold their wings and "On the Drop" ! :eek: (well in my dreams anyway) I also really enjoy helping Mother Nature build that next big race winner, and watch as those little yellow fuzz balls mature into the Fall Champions.

But, without a successful breeding season, which always starts out with Hope and Promise, there can not really be those special days when you are the "Top Gun". And I don't really think it is possible to become a successful fancier without some success in both seasons. So, for me, it is like the change of seasons we enjoy here in Pennsylvania, on these bitter cold days, you look forward to those hot summer days and the days in between....and when it's hot, you look forward to those cold frigid mornings and frozen drinkers !

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An old friend told me once that racing is the fruits of breeding. I believe that is true. You spend nights checking race records, consider which birds to get rid of, and pairing up birds based on the previous year's performances. All is frantic long before the first eggs are laid. Then all is frantic when the first birds, or twenty in Warren's case, fold their wings and clock in from the races. In any case, this is a sport one that is known by few but loved by all who know it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts