Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post and I am a NOOB when it comes to all this pigeon stuff. So I am having a problem with some birds in my coop. My brother-in-law gave me two of his 2009 birds to breed so they could have babies in my coop. They bred and layed two eggs, only one hatched but it was a RED bird! woo hoo! My brother in law was very pleased and happy since this was their first brude together. Ok so I'm about 1 week from my red baby being weened off the parents...My brother in law gave me 2 more birds that are only 6 weeks old, this way i will give him back his 2009 birds and have 3 2010 birds of my own. But... as soon as I put the 6 week old 2010 birds in the coop the 2009 cock started fighting both of them. I thought it was pretty normal and left them to work things out... I checked back in about an hour and they were still wrestling around and one of the 2010 birds head feathers were stripped and bare skin was all red and irritated!
So I took a little dog carrier that is very see through and stuck the two 2010 birds in it, and then the carrier in the coop (trying to get them use to being in same area but not able to harm each other). I left them in there for a half a day and let them out and the fighting resumed, so I put the 2009 cock in there for a half a day, let him out and the fighting resumed again! What do i do? Keep up this rotation of birds in and out of the cage? Its only for another week or so until I can ween my red baby off his 2009 birds. Or do I just leave the 6 week old 2010 birds in there since I need the 2009 cock to help care for his baby? Thanks a bunch guys and as soon as I can figure out how to post a pic ill show you a pic of the Red bird, its awesome! Wish me luck on training for the first time, im nervouse

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the cock bird sees that whole coop as his as he was there first. I would not put any in with him untill his babies are weaned as you are going to give them back anyway. I would get all young birds first or a few breeders to raise young from and not introduce new birds in the breeding area. the breeding area should have pairs only in there anyway to make things easier. unmated birds can cause stress to the ones nesting, the breeding area should be calm and everyone have their own nest box. once pairs have picked their area they usually defend it and everyone knows their space. it is ideal to have a seperate sections, one for flyers, one for breeding and one for young just weaned babies so they do not get picked on by the adults.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts