Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have only had one pair of pigeons mate up, and everything went smoothly with this pair. Over the last couple of days, another of the cock birds has suddenly realised that he is a male and has started his mating dancing and voicing with great enthusiasm. Only trouble is, he seems to be focusing on 2 females at once: one who is about 9 months old like himself, and a second who is only about 5 months old. Both hens seem to be interested in him (the younger one seems quite insistent) and at present they are forming a 'happy threesome' at his chosen nest site.
My question is: is he likely to mate with both of them, or choose one? I don't at present have the facilities to remove the younger hen, although building of some isolation nesting boxes may get underway tomorrow (husband permitting:)) Any information from more experienced members will be gratefully received!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
an extra hen may cause problems with the babies, I had a spare figurita hen in the breeding loft I saw her peck at some babies, and tried to steal the cock bird away from the pair with babies, she was lonely and causing trouble, I had to remove her and she has found a homer mate and is happy now, I can use her for a foster. so just something to think about if you are going to let them hatch any young.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts