Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this would be the first time my homer ever laid eggs ... there nest is fine but they are not sitting on the eggs a hard as i want them to ... when they sit on the egg, the eggs are like open to the cold...ya think it still hatch? :(:confused:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
You will have to wait till the eggs are a week or so old and put a flash light behind them and see if babies are forming.
Dave

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
When setting eggs, they usually will cover them very well, unless they are young birds and inexperienced and it can happen since it is their first time.

How old is the couple?

·
Registered
691 Posts
is it just one egg if so they will hover over it until the second egg is laid.
that way the two eggs will hatch about the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me i can check them when the eggs was reach 1 until 2 week, with a bulb and roll of news paper help, put the egg in the end of news paper roll and in front of the bulb, look from the news paper roll and you can see the egg grow for every week

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Some first timers do play this game in incubation, its only because they are not experienced, but they will soon catch up
this is right, and that is why it is not wise to let young bird hatch and have babies, they can be not so good parent birds too, let them practice on some fake eggs utill they are a year old and then you can let them hatch some babies, if you want more birds from the pair.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
this is right, and that is why it is not wise to let young bird hatch and have babies, they can be not so good parent birds too, let them practice on some fake eggs utill they are a year old and then you can let them hatch some babies, if you want more birds from the pair.

Lots of 09 birds could be or be real close to a year old. I am breeding from lots of 09 birds. A bunch of my 09 birds were born in dec last year.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Lots of 09 birds could be or be real close to a year old. I am breeding from lots of 09 birds. A bunch of my 09 birds were born in dec last year.
he said it was the first eggs for the hen....um that would make her about 4 to 6 months old.

L

·
0 Posts
some pigeons are just better at raising babies then others thats all there is too it and you wont know what ones are til they raise some babys of their own ;)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I agree, there is considerable improvement in the parents' and squabs' health if they are atleast a year old when having the first hatchlings

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some pigeons are just better at raising babies then others thats all there is too it and you wont know what ones are til they raise some babys of their own ;)
i think that true cause my very first homer ..there first time they was good ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts