Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a pair of my birds breeding today:), how long does it take for them to build a nest after that?

·
Registered
503 Posts
They should be starting to build it after copulation, you will then see the cock chasing the hen around pecking on her until she stay in the nest and lay the first egg. So I suggets provide a nesting site and put a nest bowl and wait for the result. Your first egg should be out within 10 days the the second egg will come on on the 12 day. I usually remove the first egg and replace it with a dummy egg until the second egg comes out, this is to make sure that the eggs hatch at the same time and not in the order they were layed. because you will end up with one baby twice the size of the second hatch and sometime the second hatch die due to lack of food, because the first hatch take all the food from the parent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im not the original poster of this but what do you do with the first egg once it has been hatched? Doesnt it need to be kept warm? Ive never bred before but Im pretty sure between my sisters bird and my bird we have a male and female and are thinking of giving it a try. I have no ides how to do this - I know there are certian nutritional elements that need to be considered before, durein and after mating, hatching and weaning - any good resources for beginners are welcome.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
A fell fed pigeon with different types of grains and grit doesnot need any special nutritional supply normally. Calicum rich grit is advised during egg laying periods to help the hen make up for the calcium used up forming the egg shell. Once the first egg is laid, it can be removed and kept at a secure place, do not refrigerate. Once the second egg is laid, the first egg can be placed back in the nest bowl. Squabs can be given pro-biotics to promote the good gut bacteria

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A fell fed pigeon with different types of grains and grit doesnot need any special nutritional supply normally. Calicum rich grit is advised during egg laying periods to help the hen make up for the calcium used up forming the egg shell. Once the first egg is laid, it can be removed and kept at a secure place, do not refrigerate. Once the second egg is laid, the first egg can be placed back in the nest bowl. Squabs can be given pro-biotics to promote the good gut bacteria
So, by taking out the 1st egg as soon as it is laid and replacing it with a fake egg, keeping it in a secure spot till the scond egg is laid, then as soon as the second egg is laid, you take the fake egg out and put the real one back in the nest, will make them hatch at the same time? What is the purpose, I thought they don't sit on the 1st egg till the second one is laid??:confused:

G

·
So, by taking out the 1st egg as soon as it is laid and replacing it with a fake egg, keeping it in a secure spot till the scond egg is laid, then as soon as the second egg is laid, you take the fake egg out and put the real one back in the nest, will make them hatch at the same time? What is the purpose, I thought they don't sit on the 1st egg till the second one is laid??:confused:
some do set on the eggs as soon as the first is layed some dont , you want the babys to have every advantage so by having them hatch out on the same day they will grow more evenly.. and another reason for switching them out is to keep the first egg from freezing and getting damaged ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some do set on the eggs as soon as the first is layed some dont , you want the babys to have every advantage so by having them hatch out on the same day they will grow more evenly.. and another reason for switching them out is to keep the first egg from freezing and getting damaged ;)
Thanks LokotaLoft......:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts