Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My question is this: if you break breeding couples up into separate pens, but can still see their old mate, will they accept the new one? In other words, will their hormones overpower their memory?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Eventually they'll mate with the one they are with some will quickly because they really aren't attached but others may take a long time.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I did a switch exactly like you described and the female accepted the new male within a minute. They mated and are now on babies.

The male that had been her mate for two years, is in a cage beside her, and he won't have anything to do with the new hen he has. He instead is constantly trying to get out of the cage.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
To make a permanent switch in the mates, they have to be separated with no sight. What I have seen is that the intended pair gets allocated to a pairing box. They can only see their intended mate and nothing else. Otherwise it cannot be gauranteed with the new pairs both for the cock and the hen.

Believe me, even the sounds from the previous mate can deter some from accepting new mates and surprisingly thats usually with the cock bird depsite that we all have seen him taking a sneak chance for mating with other hens. I think he is more concerned with whom his hen is rather than that a new hen is with him ;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you don't want them going back to their former pairing, keep the new pairing separate from the others for about 2 weeks and you'll be good to go. When you separate them make sure they don't see their old mates like Sreesh had mentioned. This is what I've experienced with my birds.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
"surprisingly that's usually with the cock bird despite that we all have seen him taking a sneak chance for mating with other hens. I think he is more concerned with who his hen is with, rather than the new hen he is with". (not a direct quote. I changed it a little) :)

Just about like us human males. But to be fair, the hens also accept those sneak matings. Hence why so many describe how they breed in individual cages to assure parentage. (us human males would love to work this out somehow, but instead of using cages, we try the "chained to the kitchen sink method". It doesn't work usually though)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
(us human males would love to work this out somehow, but instead of using cages, we try the "chained to the kitchen sink method". It doesn't work usually though)
There's always polygamy!:eek::D....I shouldn't have said that, my wife would kill me....

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you separate them and don't see each other, you can switch your mating around once you're ready to put them together, some will pair up again, some hen will choose another cock, depending who is the dominant one in the loft. I have a cock 07 hatch that has 2 hens and I have even numbers of cocks and hen in the loft. But both hens decide to pair with that one cock.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's best that you have two sections if applicable. That way, you can switch birds easier. I know I would build two sections the next time I build a new loft.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you separate them and don't see each other, you can switch your mating around once you're ready to put them together, some will pair up again, some hen will choose another cock, depending who is the dominant one in the loft. I have a cock 07 hatch that has 2 hens and I have even numbers of cocks and hen in the loft. But both hens decide to pair with that one cock.
I have almoist the same thing I have 8 cocks and 8 hens in one of my sections they were all mated and raised a round. Then for some reason when it came time for the second round the one hen left her mate and is mated with another cock that already has a mate. So now the cock has two mates which I'm not complaining because he's a good cock. I'm gonna throw in another hen for the cock that lost his mate.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have almoist the same thing I have 8 cocks and 8 hens in one of my sections they were all mated and raised a round. Then for some reason when it came time for the second round the one hen left her mate and is mated with another cock that already has a mate. So now the cock has two mates which I'm not complaining because he's a good cock. I'm gonna throw in another hen for the cock that lost his mate.
Yup I guess even in the animal kingdom there's always a home wrecker. Lol

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Yup I guess even in the animal kingdom there's always a home wrecker. Lol
Also in the animal kingdom they are more right on the decision than in the human kingdom ;) Because they follow the nature's guide rule for accepting mates. It may not be a trait which we wont the pigeon to breed but if a natural switch from a paired couple happens, its to the advantagous side more often

1 - 14 of 14 Posts