Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm trying to make my loft better by make some breeding box or space

do ya think 10inch by 10inch by 10inch is ok? or is it too small

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would say to small but that all depends on what you you're trying to acomplish and what breed you raise.

Are you planning on locking them in or have an open loft?

Walter

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's really small. Even in a 12X12 box, they can barely turn around. I wouldn't go any smalller than 15 X15. And that isn't very roomy when both birds are in there. Add babies to that and it's kinda cramped. !0 X10 would be no room for adults plus 2 babies. When they are a month old and still in the nest, that's like 4 birds. If you can't fit larger than that in your space, than I think it is too small to be breeding.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Please visit my public profile and go to my album there are pictures there of my breeding loft, the nest boxes are 16" X 24" X 16". I think a typical nest box should be 16" X 32" X 16" that way if you use those nest front you can lock up a nest that is not being use.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The new nest boxes which I have are 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft. I still use the old boxes which are 1ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft.

I don't lock the nest box doors unless there is a specific need for that, so my pigeons have free access to the open space round the clock

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Well they go in that box only to incubate and feed the chicks, it serves the purpose and they are out 24 x 7, haven't felt them complain yet :)
Sorry Sreesh, that comment was for Blongboy's dimensions....lol:D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i know but i dont have tat much room to work with....
These are just suggestions and how we feel about the comfort of our birds. Sometimes you have to work with what you've got! How much room are you working with and how many are you trying to fit in it?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the wt would be 42inch long and the high would be 4 feet and the depth can only be 10 -11 inch cause it dont fit the door way

i'm trying to fit 3pair at the most due to the pair i have lost my two new black, i only have my black saddle and my main breeder

i'm trying to make this because if i dont the pair that lay on the floor will control the whole floor ...there fore the other bird would be scare to feed

give me your thought and suggestion

·
Registered
117 Posts
OK I'm trying to make my loft better by make some breeding box or space

do ya think 10inch by 10inch by 10inch is ok? or is it too small
GO TO 7/11,,, HIGHS,,, ANYSTORE,,,,NOT ANY,,,, BUT U NO,,,,ASK AROUND..I GUESS......U MIGHT BE WAY IN THE WOODS......:D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so would 10X10 be ok if all i need is for them to feed the young or nest? that all i want i would make more perch on my day off

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know we mention that a prefered nest box is 16" X 32" X 16" but if you don't have a space then you can provide whatever size you can accomodate your birds. The reason alot of us prefer to height to to be 16" is because it gives the pair room specially when the cock want to thread the hen, they have enough space and you can guarantee who is the father of the young birds. I don't know if you notice that sometimes when a pair is about to do it that the cocks always gets bothered by other cocks. So do what you can for the birds and maybe later you can build another loft where you can provide them bigger nest boxes. Also remember pigeon are good producer so plan accordingly or you will end up alot of birds then disease will visit your loft, remember don't over crowd your loft.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know we mention that a prefered nest box is 16" X 32" X 16" but if you don't have a space then you can provide whatever size you can accomodate your birds. The reason alot of us prefer to height to to be 16" is because it gives the pair room specially when the cock want to thread the hen, they have enough space and you can guarantee who is the father of the young birds. I don't know if you notice that sometimes when a pair is about to do it that the cocks always gets bothered by other cocks. So do what you can for the birds and maybe later you can build another loft where you can provide them bigger nest boxes. Also remember pigeon are good producer so plan accordingly or you will end up alot of birds then disease will visit your loft, remember don't over crowd your loft.
thank you ...my homer breed and mate out side the loft ... i let one pair go out at a time to mate

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No way you can make the door larger so that you could get larger boxes in?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts