Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
i have a 9 year old female pigeon and was wondering if she would still b ok for breeding?? still lays eggs....
As long as she's healthy, I don't see why not. I certainly wouldn't let her breed 2 or 3 rounds of babies, but don't think that one would hurt anything.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
kool ty. because i heard alot of peeps say dont let ur birds breed when they are 9+ years
Most hens that are 9 years old don't even lay eggs anymore. I've got one that doesn't lay, but she'll raise a baby for me in a heart beat. A bird that is laying at 9 years old hasn't been bred very much.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Some people wouldn't breed a bird that old because they feel that the bird is past it's prime which will result in inferior off-springs unless your breeding a champion then you breed him/her forever! lol.
that's why I said not to get 2 or 3 rounds.........I expect THAT would wear them out, but 2 babies isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
There's an old flier out here that breeds only from his old stock birds. Every year he auctions out his yb's and ob's. He has a pair that are 10 years old that he's bred from since they were yearling's and they are still producing winning birds from what he tells me. I've seen the pair and they look no older than 4 years old from looking at them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts