Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good thing for my racing pair breed while they are almost done molting because they already mate and starting to build their nest ground....What should I do?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is your racing pair young birds? Since its YB racing season i was wondering.... If it were me I wouldnt, but then again I live here in Iowa where the winters are very cold and this is why.....last fall at this exact same time I was given 2 new youngsters from a club member who said these are out of my good stuff they should be old enough to breed out of in the spring...anyway these 2 youngsters started to molt just as it was getting cold in november/december and they went through hell IMO....not only were they molting which is a stressor for pigeons but it was cold as hell and they were losing there feathers...seemed they could never get enough to eat since they were burning there food up right away to replace feathers and try to stay warm...i dont think they got to develope the way they were suppose to due to everything i just mentioned and when spring time came they looked like runts to me, perhaps they were going to anyway i will never know....i would wait 4 or 5 more months and then let them breed, that way atleast you can give the babies a better chance at loft flying and training and hopefully be able to race them next YB season, with winter coming soon it would take alot of that away from them....but i guess if you live in Florida it doesnt matter then :rolleyes: LOL i just looked and since you are in WISKY I would certainly wait, i know you get pretty cold up there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is it a good thing for my racing pair breed while they are almost done molting because they already mate and starting to build their nest ground....What should I do?
Give them false eggs as replacement for real eggs, let them incubate because it is good for their body to be warm while molting.. After their molt, separate them for a week with good vitamins, just make sure that the hen still have this false eggs for her to not lay soon.. Then after a week pair them back.. It is not good to breed while molting..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts