Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, am back in Bristol for my second term.

Just walking back from lectures my friend pointed out a pigeon walking next to us. He's obviously got a broken/injured wing and he is holding it at a very odd angle.
Tried to catch him but he just managed to fly away(just).
Got some seed and tried to find him(he'd flown onto the top of a building) but no sign. Am going out again tonight and have half day tomorrow to try and find him.

Just by any remote chance if anyone just happens to be reading this and is in Bristol---please check out the bottom of Park Street/St Georges Road.

Any tips on finding a bird in pain and catching him.....and sneeking him on the train and tube(!) would be very much appreciated. He is not a young bird, I suspect he has been kicked or clipped by a car.

XxX

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Poppy,
I am going back 2 years ago when I last caught a feral town pigeon that needed assitance. I used my jacket and a bread roll (I purchased to keep it occupied).
I managed to gently throw the coat over the bird, while its head was down pecking the bread (broken in bits to keep the bird 'very busy'). I then wrapped the bird into the coat, with its head covered. I just find that doves or pigeons, tend not to twitch when their heads are covered.
When in a situation like this, I find that going to a customer services of a supermarket / or a corner shop - to ask for a small box, normally comes up trumps.
The jacket or coat trick has worked for me several times in the past. As long as I could get the jacket 2-3 feet from the bird at most. I hope you can catch the bird to tend to its injury.
Rob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I needed to mention, that when I cover a birds head. I ALWAYS ensure that airflow is not restricted. (I know, I am stating the obvious; but it can happen all too easy...)
Rob.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea! I will do and ask for boxes! No sign of the little guy but im sure he's still out there! Will continue to try and spead some seed around the area. Also visiting the pigeon haven that is brandon hill tomorrow to check them all out.
XxX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts