Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oh brother.....what lies they like to tell.
Honestly those arent lies. I agree with some of what PETA says. Except for banning racing. I believe so many people have become so infatuated with the sport itself they have lost track of actually caring about their pigeons, they just care for them. I do believe that 900 miles is a bit much. Theres really no reason for such a distance
The casualites are so high because people breed so many YBs they just become statistics. And it strikes me odd that with all the talk about pigeon friendly conduct on this site, the fact that dude just ripped the head off that perfectly good pigeon is [email protected]!#*& up, you would think more people would say something about it. Mike Tyson got into his first fight because of it.
As much as PETA tries to stop pigeon racing they cant, especially when the number of fanciers is so high amd includes royalty. However, they may just accomplish banning certain long distance races.
Im not on PETAs side, but I agree with what they say about some fanciers being cruel to their birds...keeping birds fed and healthy does not qualify you as a good pigeon keeper IMO. Theres a lot more love and care that goes into it. I agree that 900 miles is excessive, that the pigeon community needs to take more interest in the fanciers that make up thos community...but...speaking from sources outside of this sport, PETA, and our pigeon world...they are just birds.
Smh.yea. right.
I love all my birds. I couldnt kill one. Cause thats what that man in the video did. Call iy what you want, cull or whatever. He straight up killed it and left the body in a bag. Im sure some members here might use this method. Im saying(and I know its against rules to say it but I have to) that if you do that to your pigeon, and just toss it in a bag and throw it in the trash, your wasting everything about that pigeon. Millions starve around the world. I know how PT feels about consuming pigeons, but damn man give the bird a purpose or something! Dead in vain. Thats what it is. Id rather sell it to a livestock auction, or eat it myself. Give the bird some justice in its life, damn. Its like shooting someone and just leaving him in the street for the coroner. Waste of life if yoy ask me.
But again, they're just birds right?
Right?!
Im not trying to debate or bash anyones philosophical viewpoints. Im just saying...it does seem kinda F'd up.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
We use MILES here in the US other parts of the world use kilometers which is less then miles And do not think the birds are flying 900 miles. NOW PETA is on the ATTACK. And just as the part where it showed several birds down in the water not being able to get out. I wonder if that was STAGED, As how could they come across them in a boat not knowing the line of flight. AND WHY if it was real did they PETA not rescue them MAKES one wonder. They as I have said started there campain when TYSONS show aired acouple of years back And they are building there case to stop not only pigeon racing But pigeon keeping of any kind. What they show on film Is what they want showed. There are graphic parts But they want that to get people to side with them. MAYBE if PETA showed on film to the public where they kill many animals Perhaps people would think they are cruel.As long as we have HUMANS and have animals and birds ECT mAn will want to interact with them. THE people who want to be vegin, and such CAN have there life BUT NOT force it on others. There is a certion amount of cruel things to all aspects of life The hawk KILLS birds Is it cruel or is it nature. kept pigeons Have a rather safe life and long life.

·
Registered
836 Posts
We use MILES here in the US other parts of the world use kilometers which is less then miles And do not think the birds are flying 900 miles. NOW PETA is on the ATTACK. And just as the part where it showed several birds down in the water not being able to get out. I wonder if that was STAGED, As how could they come across them in a boat not knowing the line of flight. AND WHY if it was real did they PETA not rescue them MAKES one wonder. They as I have said started there campain when TYSONS show aired acouple of years back And they are building there case to stop not only pigeon racing But pigeon keeping of any kind. What they show on film Is what they want showed. There are graphic parts But they want that to get people to side with them. MAYBE if PETA showed on film to the public where they kill many animals Perhaps people would think they are cruel.As long as we have HUMANS and have animals and birds ECT mAn will want to interact with them. THE people who want to be vegin, and such CAN have there life BUT NOT force it on others. There is a certion amount of cruel things to all aspects of life The hawk KILLS birds Is it cruel or is it nature. kept pigeons Have a rather safe life and long life.
That pigeon in water footage looked like it was from The Pigeon Game:Taiwan or some other pigeon film, and if it wasnt, good point
Why film it? Like cameramen who film horrible situations in third world countries.But as much as we would like it to be, it really isnt about PETA itself as a whole, but what they are trying to do to the sport. Forget how crooked or coniving they are, concentrate on what they are specifically doing to the sport, or attempting to do.
IMO, PETA isnt a threat its a nuisance. Defend your sport and your passion, but be aware there is some truth to what they say.
Like I said before, I think pigeon fanciers have strayed away from caring about their birds, rather they just care for them, if you can overstand the difference of that statement.

·
Registered
770 Posts
. There is a certion amount of cruel things to all aspects of life The hawk KILLS birds Is it cruel or is it nature. kept pigeons Have a rather safe life and long life.
This is a very true statement. I have a 14 year old hen in my loft. I'm guessing a pigeon living in the wild has zero chance of living that long. Mother Nature can be very cruel sometimes. But it is what it is. You try and treat and do the best you can for the animals in your care. That's all you can do sometimes.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This is a very true statement. I have a 14 year old hen in my loft. I'm guessing a pigeon living in the wild has zero chance of living that long. Mother Nature can be very cruel sometimes. But it is what it is. You try and treat and do the best you can for the animals in your care. That's all you can do sometimes.
Its not what the hawks do that is considered cruel, because they consume what they kill to survive. However, what man does to pigeons IS considered cruel. Because we arent doing in to survive, we do it because that pigeon doesnt fit our standard. We dont want it. We dont need it. Or whatever.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Its not what the hawks do that is considered cruel, because they consume what they kill to survive. However, what man does to pigeons IS considered cruel. Because we arent doing in to survive, we do it because that pigeon doesnt fit our standard. We dont want it. We dont need it. Or whatever.
I believe, that the video did mention that as a negative, when they were discussing predation and how the domestication of the pigeon forces it to be a target.
The video truely is over the top though and it's unfortunate that it has come to this.

Since discussing culling is a no-no, I won't go into that aspect of the discussion.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I believe, that the video did mention that as a negative, when they were discussing predation and how the domestication of the pigeon forces it to be a target.
The video truely is over the top though and it's unfortunate that it has come to this.

Since discussing culling is a no-no, I won't go into that aspect of the discussion.
I will agree it is over the top. They must pay their video editors well. And as a negative to being subject as easy prey... well if they have a problem with it then tell they can start a campaign to ban hawks. It seems PETA only helps cute or domestic animals. Do they have a save the tiger campaign? No, because tigers are killing machines. PETA is full of B.S.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Maybe you should consider joining PETA!
I knew someone would say some dumb stuff like that and I was waiting for it. Why should I? Because I didnt agree with a PT member? Because I said I agree with some of what they say? Im entitled to agree with what I feel is right, just like I agree with john and lee. Just because someone agrees with another party, doesnt mean they should now be all about that parties views and join them. I believe in Jesus, doesnt make me a christian. Maybe you shouldnt be such a smartass

·
Registered
836 Posts
I apologize bbcdon for being offended and reacting as such. Back on topic

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Well after a little checking the most any of those birds go is 900k= 556 miles, and where the birds cross the channel would be 50.5k=32 miles. Sounds to me like PETA is full of lies just to make their cause sound better, they have an agenda no matter how wrong it is.
Dave

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That pigeon in water footage looked like it was from
If it is km and not miles than 900 km is only 559 miles which is reasonable for old birds.

As far as your reference to that film. I was appalled when I saw that! It was nuts you see pigeons drowning as they are let out, why would they film such a thing? There is also another Pigeon Game that was filmed in NYC for the world trade center race and you see them let out hundreds of birds into this thick fog. Whats wrong with them? They shouldn't do that, and if they wanted to than don't film it! How can we promote the sport when, when you youtube pigeon racing which is something that is done when interested in this sport you see pigeons drowning and being let out into thick fog, its insane.

Once again just my opinion,
Sho

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well after a little checking the most any of those birds go is 900k= 556 miles, and where the birds cross the channel would be 50.5k=32 miles. Sounds to me like PETA is full of lies just to make their cause sound better, they have an agenda no matter how wrong it is.
Dave
That adds a better clarification. I was racking my brain trying to think why any pigeon fancier would send their bird on a 900mile race and put them through that type of strain and stress. Friggin PETA should be in political campaign commercial business, cuz they sure know how to overexaggerate

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'll bet the pigeons you see drowning is staged by PETA, I've seen my own birds land in water to get a drink and then take off and it looked like no big deal to them.
Dave

·
Registered
836 Posts
If it is km and not miles than 900 km is only 559 miles which is reasonable for old birds.

As far as your reference to that film. I was appalled when I saw that! It was nuts you see pigeons drowning as they are let out, why would they film such a thing? There is also another Pigeon Game that was filmed in NYC for the world trade center race and you see them let out hundreds of birds into this thick fog. Whats wrong with them? They shouldn't do that, and if they wanted to than don't film it! How can we promote the sport when, when you youtube pigeon racing which is something that is done when interested in this sport you see pigeons drowning and being let out into thick fog, its insane.

Once again just my opinion,
Sho
Agreed. When I first watched all the youtube videos I could, PETA included, I seriously reconsidered what I was getting into

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'll bet the pigeons you see drowning is staged by PETA, I've seen my own birds land in water to get a drink and then take off and it looked like no big deal to them.
Dave
Yes...but your pigeons didnt land in the middlebof an ocean after flying 400+ miles tho...just saying;)

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
That adds a better clarification. I was racking my brain trying to think why any pigeon fancier would send their bird on a 900mile race and put them through that type of strain and stress. Friggin PETA should be in political campaign commercial business, cuz they sure know how to overexaggerate

Don't rack your brain to hard, I did it to prove a point. I trained 3 birds special for a long distance toss, and I did it for a $10 dollar bet. My wife's Aunt said they could not do it, so I sent 3 birds to Tuscon Az. These were special birds, they were turned out on a Thursday morning and home Sunday afternoon. I new these 3 birds could do the job, and they did.
Dave

P.S. that was over 1000 miles, and no I wouldn't have sent just any bird.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I am unable to view the linked video.

But, let's face the truth. Pigeon "culling" (in the bad way), is not rare.

Additionally, pigeon racing is gambling with the lives of the pigeons. Most racing pigeons are taken care of extremely well. The best food, housing and care, that any animal could get. Except for those dogs and cats that sleep in our beds.

But the motivation is not for the welfare of those pigeons. It is for the outcome of racing, that the owner/handler is interested in. We are not doing it for the sake of the pigeon. We are doing it for our own personal competitive interests.

It is a fun and facinating sport. But it is about exploiting a living thing. THAT can not be denied. No different than horse racing, dog racing, bird dog hunting, breeding and selling parakeets, breeding and selling dogs and cats, or raising fan tail guppies. It is not for the animal. It is for us.

My biggest complaints about racing pigeons, is the cruel culling and the disregard for the life of birds that are just not good at racing. For sure, there are flyers/handlers/owners, that care a great deal, for the birds in their care. But there are also many that do not care much. Except for the bottom line of "winning".

I don't know how many discussions I have heard about this guy or that guy, sending unqualified birds to long distances. Just to lighten the number of birds they will have to feed throughout a coming winter. Birds not qualified from past experience, to race that far, that soon.

I actually considered joining PETA years ago. Concerning illegal cock fighting in my area. But after talking with them, and reading up on them. I decided not too, as they take everything overboard, (as many people do, in many subjects). They are overzealous. But I agree with them in substance.

I took 28 old birds on a training toss today. All have been hundreds of miles last year, in racing. They have the ability and the know how to come home. Today I took them 35 miles. It was a partly cloudy day, with periods of sunshine. Not too bad a day for March.

As of now, I am out four birds. I don't understand why. Maybe they were not hungry enough, I don't know. I am hoping they will make it home before dark. I feel lousy when I race or train homing pigeons, that for whatever reason, do not ever come home.

But that is what we do. We breed, raise, train and race homing pigeons. But let us not kid ourselves. It is about what we want. Not about what the birds want, desire, or is in their best interest.

Is is a "slightly" bothersome sport, to my emotions. But the alternative is not racing pigeons and not preserving the homing aspect of racing pigeons, and their speed abilities. My pigeons would not exist ever, if not for their ability to race. They are not pets. They are race horses that fly. Greyhounds that have wings.

Them's the facts. Just like NASCAR, football, or boxing. We would not be interested if no one had the potential of getting hurt. That is life. Life is a "take your chances" thing. Pigeons and us, take our chances. When I drive to toss my birds, I could also not come home. There are accidents every day. But I make an informed decision to drive somewhere. Racing pigeons do not. I do not lie to myself about these things.

I just choose to participate in this sport. Regardless of how the birds are affected.

I know for a fact, that if I did not race my birds. If I just fed, housed and watered them, with free range of my area. That they would soon all be a meal for a predator. It would not take long at all.

Maybe I am a bad person. I don't know. But what awesome things in life, are without risk?

Nothing.

PETA is overzealous. No doubt about it. But I think that most of us, do understand and agree with their basic motivations. The welfare of animal life.

PETA keeps us in check. Much like democrats and republicans keep each other in check. IMO, we need them. They serve a good function. If for nothing else, to keep the bad of us, in check. To a certain degree. I can live with PETA and their compaigns. Just like democrats, they are an absolute necessity, even though I disagree with them nine times out of ten. :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts