Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pigeons had laid two eggs about 17 days ago, when I went to check this morning the one pigeon stepped on the top if the eggs and now theres a hole on top about a pea size, should I just leave the egg and hope for the best or should i remove more of the egg so the baby could possibly come out?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Is the egg good??-leave it another day or 2 -maybe seal it with liquid paper--its only 2 days from hatching.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the egg is good, i was just worried that since it broke it may die, not sure what really to do. i will leave it though and see what happens

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I would not use liquid paper; leave it alone and see what happens. At 17 days it should be ready to hatch anyway. You can hold the egg to your ear and listen closely for sounds of hatching--clicks of the chick's beak as it pecks at the shell. But even if you don't hear anything, it may still be okay. How is the other egg doing? Do the eggs look the same or does one appear darker than the other? Do you know if both were fertile?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could that hole b the baby hatching?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I held the egg close an did not hear anything, other than the hole it seems to be in good shape, the other egg when I looked at it through a light does not seem to be fertile...also I believe it was not due to the chick as i saw the mother step on it

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
You can tell the difference between a break from the outside (mom stepping on it) and a chick hatching from inside. It's not a good sign that the hole is no bigger and you don't hear anything, but give it another day or so anyway. If the chick is hatching, you should see an outward break in the shell and a crack appearing around the larger end of the egg.

What does the egg look like? Does it appear solid, opaque white or dark and blotchy?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
leave the egg and hen alone and check o them a couple of days, being that it is almost time for it to hatch, it still can be fine. do not touch it any longer or help with the hatching, they do it in their own time and need to be ready and drying as they come out.. you do not want to take shell away when it is not ready and still attached to the inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts