Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a pigeon here that can't stand up or walk or perch without me having to support his left side. When i do hold his side he has his left leg in a limping position. I've check the leg and compared it to the other one. The heel of the leg where it bents seems to be a bit swollen. I'm not a hundred percent sure that it's broken, but without the use of his left leg he can't really do that much. But like I've said the only place is the heel that looks odd. He can bend it, not on his own though. But most of the time he lets it be straight all the time making it look like his butt is in the air. Any clue? i can put a sling or a splint on him but i'm not quite sure what type of position the leg should be in, since he has it straight all the time. Ill leave a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Not a great picture, but looks swollen. Is the back toe going forward? Not sure what the injury is, so hard to say what to do about it without causing more harm.
Are there any soars on the bottom of the foot?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He does have some blisters or sores on the top of his feet. And yes his back toe is going forward but that’s because he seems to have little control of his toes. I’ll try to get some better pictures

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Wondering if somehow he broke the foot. If he did, and it healed badly, then there isn't much you can do about it after it is healed. You can't just force the toe back to where they should be. A vet could take an x-ray or maybe tell better what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn’t anything wrong with the toes he just cant move them that well, and he can bend his heel, but not a whole lot or on his own.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
But you don't know if he broke it or what happened to it. I is affecting the toes if he is walking on the back one. What I meant was that it can't just be forced back where it should be, without knowing what is wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah your right, I looked a bit into it I’m not quite sure, he could possibly have gout with the blisters and his heel joint being swollen and missing a feather on his wing joint as well. It’s painful for him when he bends it, which is why he keeps to straight. It might not even be broken at all now that I think about it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can he grip your fingers with his toes? I wouldn’t expect an injured foot to debilitate an adult pigeon this much. Usually they just stand on one foot.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No, he can’t grip, but he can move them a bit. And I was thinking the same thing, I’ve seen pigeons stand on one foot and they seem fine. The thing is he can stand on one foot but only if I’m there to hold his left side. If I’m not there he just falls to his side. And I’m located in Dallas TX

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dislocated Hip!

So i took him to a fellow friend of mine who is a vet. She wasn't quite sure so she felt around in there, and found that the leg is actually facing inwards. and as she moved it he reacted and pull his foot away from her (Pain located) and so a little more feeling around and discovered, it's the hip that's dislocated. Though she was a vet, she recommend me to try to use a splint on him, to heal it heal better. But it being in the hip area i have no idea how to put the splint on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Bird bones heal quickly, so unless it is a break that has just happened, a splint isn't going to help. And if it is in the hip, then he may have been born that way. You would really need an x-ray to see exactly what is going on. Without that you could cause more harm. He probably would need surgery if it is in the hip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a update for those who still listen and would still want to help me out. It's confirm a hip fracture. His left leg is out of it's socket. I still haven't been able to find a proper vet for him. As i do know they'll probably euthanize him, even though i know he can still have a chance at a happy life. Probably surgery will be a option for him since it's been some time. He's healthy, it's just he can't move around because of the factor. I've search for some places but i'm not 100% sure about it. If anyone knows a good place that will accept him around Dallas or Arlington TX please let me know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wild Bird fund

Sorry i didn't get where you live but the Wild Bird Fund in NYC can maybe suggest a bird vet that can help with his hip.
Best of luck

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Google lists some rescues near Arlington and Dallas.
http://www.dfwwildlife.org/BirdRehabbers.html
http://www.rogerswildlife.org/index.php
Palomacy may also be able to suggest a pigeon froendly vet or pigeon friendly rescue.
Always check out rescues carefully and tell them it is your pet bird. We rescued our first truly wonderful feral, Phoebe, after she flew into a fan and had a broken wing and was nearly decapitated. Our local "rescue" was going to just euthanize her. We git her fixed up and she was our beloved family member for eight wonderful years.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Did you get x-rays? Do you know if it's the ilium or the femur? Femur fractures are much more common, and it can feel like it's the hip that's the issue. I really doubt you'll be able to find a rescue group that would provide surgery for him. He's expensive, most likely unreleasable, and low priority. Surgery on pneumatic bones can be trickier, and femoral fractures often don't set well at all. Plus it's an older injury on a pigeon.

His best chance would be to go to a dedicated avian vet. Looks like Arlington Heights Animal Hospital is the closest, though I don't know if their vet is experienced with orthopedic surgery. They'll be able to tell you exactly what's going on with him. My guess is they'll give you pain meds and possibly wrap it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've emailed 4 Avian vets around my area to see what they can do. And it is the femur, you can see the head of the femur, or joint, out of place if you were to look. As for rehab I've checked them out, but doesn't seem like they will take the bird. If he has to be disabled then i'm willing to care of him either way.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If he can't stand or walk then he isn't going to have much quality of life. Just sitting in his own droppings all day. That's an awful life for a bird. Might be better to euthanize if surgery isn't possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Wheelchair

His leg has healed perfectly, i just splinted his femur, which was quite difficult. The vet said they couldn't do anything for him, i email a rehab but they never responded back. But his leg has healed great. I just need to get him use to walking again. He can move both legs now, much better then before. The downside is he's using his wings to get him where he wants to go. Damaging his wings. I was thinking about making him a wheelchair that would help him use his legs more and avoid him using his wings. Anyone know how to make one? If not i'll try to make one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If he’s not using it, it didn’t heal perfectly. How long was it wrapped? It should take 2-3 weeks to heal.
Using his wings is how he’ll adapt to his disability, putting him in a contraption is only going to make it harder for him. He needs a comfortable place he can rest without faking over and enough room to spread his wings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts