Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a young pigeon with a broken shoulder, at first I didn't think so but it is hanging way down and she isn't moving it. I stopped the bleeding. It is a little swollen in the joint. I don't know what happened to it could have been a hawk not sure but I do know this that wing is going to have to come off one way or another. My next dilema is asking the vet to take it off and then finding a home for her. She still squeaks she is so cute just as sweet as can be. I am wondering if I can get the vet to take it off for free as I have never asked her for anything like this before. Should I start her on antibiotics? I have amoxicillian 250 mg capsules. I am just scared that if she has an infection starting from her injury that it could do her in. She is very thin as well. Only weighing in at 228 grams. Keel is starting to get sharp. If anyone here wants a pigeon after she has her wing taken off let me.

Cindy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's either the glenoid fossa or the humerous. It is dangling and started to bleed slightly again. If the wing can't be saved rather than letting it heal hanging down I was wondering if she would take it off. If she did the cost is what I am wondering about as I can't afford it, super sweet baby. I will get Darren to take a pic of it including underneithe the wing itself.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It looks more is involved than just the humerus. It looks like it's below the elbow (joint of the radius/ulna with the humerus) as well. Frankly, I'd tape it all up, with the wingtip taped to the tail as well and see how it goes. I've got one in that was about that bad and didn't have the wing taken off. It took two or three months to heal pretty well although the humerus resulted in a non-union. I think that the vet might be able to rejoin it and then that bird might actually be able to fly again.

So, what I'd push for is to give the wing a chance to heal. If it doesn't start rotting then it might not need to be amputated.

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok In the first pic the black and blue area looks like a gathering of blood just leave it? Right now it is wrapped to her side so should I rewrap it to the tip? Hopefully it is saveable. She is so sweet. Loves to cuddle and sleep in my lap. She is quite thin as well. Drinks alot of water. Should I start her on antibiotics. I have amoxicillin 500mg capsules and also SMZ-TMP 15ml

Thanks Pidgey

Cindy

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Use the SMZ-TMP (Trimethoprim/Sulfamethazine or Sulfamethoxazole?) for this one--it works well in necrotic tissue and due to the interruption of the circulation, it could go bad. That's a good one for that kind of thing. Do you know how to dose it? Can you post all the stuff on the medication's package?

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Cindy, if your vet has an email address, why not email the photos to her
and ask for some pain medication (not anti-inflamatory) for the bird's wing?
Perhaps something like Butorphanol....Vet's sometimes have a tax write off
"Wildlife" account that they can charge their services to when helping at
reduced prices or for free, she may even see the bird @ no charge if
she saw the pics. It's worth a try.

fp

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Good luck with her, Cindy, she sure does look like a sweetie. Thanks for taking care of her and I hope it all works out for you both. :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well she doesn't have an e-mail address and won't be in till Thursday. Everything I told is what is on the package.

Cindy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just seen the pigeons wing in the sunlight and on top of the wing it has green under the wing does that mean it has something aweful? Like Gangorine? Now I am getting very concerned about things. How much Of the SMZ med should I give her? also how often?

Cindy

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Cindy, earlier I was referring to getting a pain medication for the bird, I
realize that you don't currently have any on hand. You would have to ask
the vet for a prescription.

Who is the manufacturer of the SMZ-TMP? Sounds like you have a 15ml
bottle of it?

The green you are seeing could well be bruising.

fp

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Bruises in birds (pigeons, at least) turn a darkish green after a couple of days or so. It's due to the buildup of biliverdin, which is the name of the green pigment.

There's gotta' be something else on that bottle of Trimethoprim/Sulfa or you must have gotten it from somebody who might have more info on theirs?

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Pidgey got the bottle from the vet she told me to keep it on hand so I wouldn't have to keep running in and getting more. She did tell me to use .15 for a med size bird from rehabbing. Does this help?

Cindy

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Cindy, when did you take this bird in?

fp

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Hi Pidgey got the bottle from the vet she told me to keep it on hand so I wouldn't have to keep running in and getting more. She did tell me to use .15 for a med size bird from rehabbing. Does this help?

Cindy
It doesn't give the concentration of the medication, but you could call for this
info tomorrow. Even though the bird is a smaller one, you could start the
bird off w/.15 for now.

fp

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, sounds like it means to use 0.15 milliliters at a whack for a medium-sized pigeon, then, huh? Was that once a day, twice a day... ?

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 times a day. Actually I used it for a robin and starling.

Cindy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts