Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I found a pigeon at the ranch last night that a cat had gotten. It has its upper beak torn off... I put it in a box with straw for the night and this morning it seems perky and ok - except the beak. Can it survive? Can it eat? Is there anything I can do for it while it heals? What do they eat - how can I feed it?
Thanks
Stacey
[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have a camera phone....sorry
the bottom beak is fully visible - looks like part of the upper beak is hanging off to one side. small amount of blood - dried...it looks like it broke off close to the feathers.
I would guess a barn cat got it...
The bird looks lively and perky otherwise.. dont know if it can eat or if it will grow back.
I hate to take it to the local animal shelter if it has a chance to rehab - they said they dont bother and will just euthanize it automatically.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
If I"m not mistaken, there are some here that have had pigeons with this problem. I THINK the bird can learn to eat eventually, but I'm pretty sure that it should not ever be released back to the wild. That would be a death sentence from starvation I'm sure.
Can you tell us where you are? Maybe someone would be willing to take the bird and keep it.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
This is a feral, right? Not one of your birds or anything? Just have to keep checking back for our members out there to come on line. I'm in VA, so not much help.........that would be quite a drive.........LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, it is a feral pigeon... sorry, I posted on the incorrect area - I reposted under injured birds... I didnt want to leave it for the cat to finish off, and figured if it made it through the night, it deserved a chance...yes, VA is a LONG drive from CA... thanks so much though.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
yes, it is a feral pigeon... sorry, I posted on the incorrect area - I reposted under injured birds... I didnt want to leave it for the cat to finish off, and figured if it made it through the night, it deserved a chance...yes, VA is a LONG drive from CA... thanks so much though.
I'm going to get a moderator to move all of these posts to the sick and injured so more people will see it.............I know you posted there but you'll get a bunch more responses

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yes, it is a feral pigeon...

sorry, I posted on the incorrect area - I reposted under injured birds...

I didnt want to leave it for the cat to finish off, and figured if it made it through the night, it deserved a chance...yes, VA is a LONG drive from CA... thanks so much though.
That's OK Slong. :)
I've moved your thread with the replies to the sick and injured forum and deleted the others.

Before giving him anything to eat or drink, please review the basic life saving steps, if you haven't already done so.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

Cindy

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stacey,

Have you offered a dish of seeds and water? I would try that first and see if he's able to pick up any seeds. If not, you can feed him thawed peas and corn.

Jennifer

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
He should be able to drink from a deep bowl, not sure if he will succeed in picking up seeds, maybe in time he will learn. Still, offer him a deep dish with seeds.
If he cannot eat you will have to feed him. We have mny members in Ca, you will be able to find a home for him.

I have a hen with the lower beak missing, she can eat just fine. I think though it is more difficult to learn to eat when the upper beak is missing.

Reti

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi SLONG, I have had birds that hit windows that had the upper beak bent back into the mouth this looks like a missing beak you need to open the mouth and see if this is the case if so just pop the beak out and the bird will be as good as new in a day or so GEORGE;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.