Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of homing pigeons that I have been flying for about three months. Yesterday, a hawk got the male and had him on the ground. I scared the hawk away but the pigeon was in shock and had blood coming out of his nose and mouth and had gurgly breathing. I wrapped him up and brought him in but could see no other injuries other than loss of feathers. Today he is looking much better and sitting in the corner but he is holding his left wing slightly out to the side and the flight feathers are down lower than his tail. I have gently fanned out his wing and it does not seem to bother him and it moves OK but he still holds it out a little. Do you think his wing may be broken? Can a vet set a wing? Will it heal on its own?
Thanks.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Could be broken. An avian vet should be able to set the wing. If broken, it isn't going to heal properly without being set. And no guarantee on how well the bird will fly.

Flying 2 birds together, and not in a flock is very dangerous. This is why. They are likely going to be grabbed be a hawk. They are safer in a flock as there are more eyes to watch for danger. Lucky he wasn't killed. Please don't fly them that way. Just not safe.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
A vet can definitely set a wing although our beloved Phoebe who had a broken wing needed a surgical pin. She could fly afterwards but not well. So the result depends on the break...she had a very bad break and also was nearly decapitated. Hope your bird does well. Please keep us posted about how your bird is doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thank you for your responses. Jay3, I don't plan to fly them anymore (Is that cruel?) I had some rollers a few years ago (flew four) and they were slowly picked off by hawks. I thought racing homers stood a better chance. I live in a development and pigeons are not allowed in the township or in the development so I kept my numbers low.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your responses. Jay3, I don't plan to fly them anymore (Is that cruel?) I had some rollers a few years ago (flew four) and they were slowly picked off by hawks. I thought racing homers stood a better chance. I live in a development and pigeons are not allowed in the township or in the development so I kept my numbers low.
No, it is not cruel, give them a nice large aviary to fly in. All pigeons are very vulnerable to hawk attacks, they are like sitting ducks, when their numbers are few. The bird should be on some antibiotics, which is important for predator caught birds. http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/predatedorshot.htm

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

No, it's not cruel. If you had some way of giving them a safe enclosure outside where they could go out and get some fresh air and sunshine, and maybe take a bath, they would love that. Feeding them to hawks is what is cruel. They'll be fine, and safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts