Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had brother and sister Dove separated for quite some time. A few weeks ago we put them in the same cage, now there's an egg that she sitting on. Is birth defect highly likely?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
No it isn't.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Charis is right. I've had that happen, and they are fine.
You just have to think about whether or not you want more birds. I would buy some fake dove eggs to keep down the numbers. When they lay eggs, which they will a lot, you can't just take the eggs away, as that will just cause her to lay more to replace them. This will eventually deplete her calcium stores and she will have all sorts of problems. So with the fake eggs, when they lay the 2 eggs, you switch them out with the fake. This will cause them to sit on the eggs for a few weeks, trying to hatch them. When they don't hatch, they will start all over again. But this gives her time to rebuild her calcium stores before laying again. You need fake eggs to keep down the numbers. They can be bought at any pigeon/dove supply place. They have some online also. Also, they need calcium/D3 supplement, to give her enough calcium to be able to make the eggs. Very important. And the D3 is especially important for indoor birds, as they don't get outside in the sunlight, which is what helps outside birds to make vitamin D3. Without vit. D3, a bird cannot utilize any calcium they do get. It helps their body to be able to absorb it. So very important for breeding birds, and especially inside birds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Jay! We have a dummy egg and I amped up her calcium supplements(both liquid form and special calcium grit). How long should we wait to put the fake egg in the nest? It's been three days since she's laid one egg, haven't seen the second one.

I have the cages next to the window which gets sunlight, but not direct sunlight. I'm wondering if that sufficient?

Appreciate the help:)
Angel

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would change out the egg then.
No, a window won't give them the D3 they need. The UV rays of the sun that they need for D3 are filtered out by glass or window screen unfortunately. A supplement with calcium and D3 is really needed. I use CalciBoost. It's very good and will last you a while, as you only use a small amount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.