Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Since you say you have 20 mosaic pigeons, and so far the two have looked a bit like almonds, I'm beginning to think some may not actually be mosaics, but a trick the almond is playing in the birds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you say you have 20 mosaic pigeons, and so far the two have looked a bit like almonds, I'm beginning to think some may not actually be mosaics, but a trick the almond is playing in the birds.
thx for comment

only wait u will see them:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree. I raise almonds and get those large patches of kite (which is what the one wing looks to me, just solid kite) rather often. Mosaics are really neat and I have seen a few, but never 20 in one spot!!!
thx for comment
not 20 in one spot
i have 20 pigeons mosaic in the loft

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Are these birds from your home bred flock or did you get your mosaics from other breeders? I'm just wondering as it is a rare occurance to even get one or two?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Question: What is the result of mating mosaic birds together? Do you get a lot of mosaics?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Question: What is the result of mating mosaic birds together? Do you get a lot of mosaics?
No, because a mosaic is a random genetic mutation. It's up there with double headed birds and extra toes :p They're not positive how mosaics happen, but the main theories are either two sperm fertilized one egg, or two embryo fused together, producing a "quilted" or patchwork colored bird. You can't purposely breed one.

However, I do believe that it could be possible to increase your chances of getting one if you breeds from mosaics. Hasn't been proven yet, of course. But I think that if there's some "fault" in a bird that alows this mutation to happen, then keeping that "fault" in a family may increase the chances of happening again.

Mosaics are still a mystery though, so anything could be possible.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
They're not sure which it is. It could very well be just like that in horses. Whether it is two embryo fused or two sperm fertilizing one egg. I personally think it could be either. But if there's two fusing together, wouldn't you only get one fertile egg? When I had my mosaic, the other egg was infertile.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts