Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:hello there-i was wondering if anyone can help me with a pigeon i found in my backyard.its a brown young pigeon,not fully an adult.has all feathers but is still learning to fly.it looks as though it doesn;t know how to use its legs. can;t seem to stand on them.it leans on its tail and behind and uses its wings for support against the ground-not sure how to help it. i've been feeding it bread crumbs and giving it water for the past three days.and keeping it wrapped up in a towel to keep it warm.do i need to upload a video or something or does someone know what i'm talking about?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this youngster. He is definitely unsafe left on its own.

It could be a health issue or lack of calcium-liquid calcium supplement will work.

Could you please tell us where you are located, perhaps we can find help for you?

The youngster should be eating wild bird seed (or drained canned peas or corn) if you don't mind. Make sure he is warm and kept out of air drafts.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I agree with Trees' post except to add that the corn and peas need to be defrosted frozen kind. There is too much salt in the canned corn and peas.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You described it as a young brown pigeon. Could it be a collared dove? A lot of them tend to suffer from metabolic bone disease and are unable to walk. Sometimes their legs become deformed. Calcium supplements correct this.

[URL="
[/URL]

A video would help, just to ensure that it is as we think it is!

Cynthia

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You described it as a young brown pigeon. Could it be a collared dove? A lot of them tend to suffer from metabolic bone disease and are unable to walk. Sometimes their legs become deformed.

[URL="
[/URL]

A video would help, just to ensure that it is as we think it is!

Cynthia
Very good point. I hadn't even thought of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts