Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess I do not see what is wrong with it. If they killed the birds just to kill them, I would have trouble with that. But as a farmer who raises most of my own food (yes, I do most of my own butchering) I saw nothing wrong with this.
Most people in the "Civilized" world want their food sterile, I mean processed and packaged in a factory somewhere so they do not have to see how it became "Chicken Nuggets."

·
Registered
240 Posts
IMO meat (any kind) is brutal, but people will always eat meat. UncleBuck is right, most people don't want to know what happened for them to have that steak or drumstick on their table. I didn't watch the video, can't stomach these things :(

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If any of you are interested in meatless recipes, I'd been happy to share them with you.:)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Back in Asia (20+ years ago), we used to catch and kill animals first before cooking. We go to a supermarket and the chickens are still alive. You point to which chicken you want and the person butchers it in front of you. I can still remember vividly the screaming of pigs being butchered at that market. For a kid it was a terrifying experience. Here in America, where almost is preprocessed, we really don't know how those foods get into the food aisle.

There is not much meat in pigeon unless it is one of those utility bird. Nevertheless, a whole chicken cost less than utility pigeon. We have this supermarket that sells squab (utility pigeon) and I don't see anyone buying because it cost twice more than whole chicken. I think it would be called delicacy.

Hey, I ate a fried rattlesnake before at one of those cowboy restaurant. It doesn't taste like chicken!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Back when I was still living back in Philippines... I used to sell some of my young birds to help finance raising my pigeons and fighting chickens. It also helped keep their population down. I know for a fact that most older men that came to purchase pigeons from me had the intention of cooking them. I don't see anything wrong with eating them. I just don't want to see them getting butchered. I myself had eaten pigeon before I started raising them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is one area where we all need to agree to disagree. We all know all of this. Dragging all of this up and pushing it at everyone will just make people unhappy, and hurt feelings. I may be new here but I know that everyone is here because of a love and/or appreciation for pigeons. That is what brings us all together. We need to remember that.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
This is one area where we all need to agree to disagree. We all know all of this. Dragging all of this up and pushing it at everyone will just make people unhappy, and hurt feelings. I may be new here but I know that everyone is here because of a love and/or appreciation for pigeons. That is what brings us all together. We need to remember that.
good call, I see the thread going nowhere.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Ditto........this will go south VERY quickly..........happens EVERY time...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You had fighting chickens?! Cruel.
I too have had game chickens. Doesn't mean I used them for fighting! ;) It's like people with pit bulls for pets. You can't really tell from ezemaxima's post that they did for a fact use them for fighting. Just saying not to jump to conclusions :)

I also don't see this thread going anywhere but downhill from now. But I guess we'll see. Everyone just needs to remember we all have different ways of life, and we all have done and now do different things. For some it's wrong, for others it's right. And regardless you need to respect the members here and their opinions, or you can't expect the same to happen for yourself.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You can't really tell from ezemaxima's post that they did for a fact use them for fighting. Just saying not to jump to conclusions :)
I had fighting chickens but never took them to the derby. They where my pets but our family did consume some of the eggs (don't get me started on another Filipino delicacy) produced and a hen and cock in the pot sometimes.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I Could not view the video, but as long as the animal was put down humanely. Were is the problem? It is better to live and die ANY WAY, than not exist at all. I respect Vegans BUT millions of animals would NEVER have ANY chance to live if they had their way.
I never had a say about being born, or what my fate would be, but if i had the choice, i would say give me life! i would take what ever comes for even 1 week of life! Think,
it is wrong for any animal to be treated inhumanly, but would they agree with NOT existing if they had a choice? I think not, just an opinion that has been on my mind for years. I eat my cull birds, i used to eat rabbits we raised, their essence lives on.
that is why i will never be planted in the ground, cremated, and ashes spread.
Just an opinion mind you, but any life is better than NO life.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I used to have a neighbor back in Asia who uses his rooster for fighting like the way pitbull dog fighting is. Every weekend he came home looking sad with dead chicken on his arms. But the wife seemed happy because she gets to cook the bird. It was both tragic and comedic.

What I find funny is that some culture accepts these fightings as normal while in the west it is very condemned. It shows that we have different cultures and beliefs. Whether one side is right is none of my business. That goes with what one eats as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with butchering pigeons. When you go to KFC and get a bucket of chicken, how do you think it got there in the first place? The killing of an animal for food is perfectly fine, nature does it all the time. As long as the animal is killed quickly with little or no suffering, it is fine. Pigeons were raised for food in the first place, it was their fate prior to becoming fancy birds. Such is life.

·
Registered
851 Posts
In our club is a man who immigrated to the US from communist Poland. Some folks were giving him a hard time about his birds and rudely asking him why he bothers to race chickens. After my son put the implication together that the birds were eaten he asked the man "why do you eat your birds?" Here is the man's reply.

When I lived in Poland, we were not able to get all the food we needed. We were only given 4oz of meat a week. For the whole family. I had 2 children that survived so that made four people share 4oz per week. Pigeons in Poland are bigger. So we ate them to stay alive. Now here I could not afford enough food. And it is hard to grow in the garden without chemicals [he was referring to fertilizer] so I knew that if I could get some pigeons I could give my family meat and vegetables. So, as you say, I kill two birds with one stone.
He went on to explain the difficulties faced as a non-english speaker finding work and making ends meet. Here is a man who, unlike many in his condition, turned to a recourse that he knew to supply food and keep his expense down. Will I eat a pigeon? I guess if I visit this polish family I will. And I will remember that he not everyone has the luxury to choose how they feed their family.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.