Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving up lumber from jobs that I have done for almost a year now and kept holding off to get more so I can make it as big as possible. Well the wife said she was tired of all my junk (treasure) laying out back so to avoid further conflict I figured I had enough to build a 12X12. Remember this is all wood I had to haul home, pull nails and clean up but to me it seemed worth it the challenge rather then take it a land fill. This is what I decided on, I built up beams to 6"
x6"x12' to lay the floor boards on and it turned out to be a pretty sturdy platform

It was nice to have the wife out for a while to make sure I am doing it Her way LOL she won't even turn a saw on but it is nice to have her help with the clean up, at least we get to see each other. As it turned out I had just enough straight boards to do the floor.

I am now ready to start the walls but I have to cut all the 2x4's to length, I have about 40 different sizes but the price was right.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hello!

Wouldn't you just love some beautiful, charming, rescued king pigeons for that recycled new loft?

I'm always on the hunt for wonderful homes for these birds who have escaped the butcher, survived (usually just as squeakers) being on their own in the big, bad, hawk-filled city and dodged the euthanasia list by becoming MickaCoo Pigeon & Dove rescues.

I'm working on getting adoptions arranged in the next few weeks so that I can ship while the weather is nice.

Here's a link to my blog, The Rescue Report and here's the MickaCoo website.

Just seeing a couple of your rescues (singed owl babies, at-risk Red Elf salamanders, etc.), I think giving a forever home to some of these beautiful "meat birds" (who each has their own personality and spirit), is right up your alley!

I hope to hear from you!
All best,
Elizabeth

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kings

Elizabethy, Let's make a deal. I will take two of your King Pigeons for a forever home if you can get me two cock blue bar homer's that I can pair with my lonly hens. I know that all four will be prisners but I do plan on breeding the homers for hobby at first and if things work out good I may join a clup and race them some day. The hens that I have are rescues so they fit right into the program. Once I finish the new loft I will have a perfect spot for everybody but there will be no birds in the house unless for some reason one would become sick. The loft that the Kings and homers will be in is actually my 12x16 front porch so if need be I can warm it in the winter, they can get prety spoiled here.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one wall up

Suday is when I give the birds there bath's so with that and cleaning taking up half my day I still managed to get one wall up.
I will be putting an avry along this wall and a trap on both sides of the window. I am thinking I like the drop trap and if anybody has a good pic they could add to this thread I will thank you:)
I am thinking because I am working by myself it will take about two more weeks to finish but you all know how that wishfull dreaming goes.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey thats great! I did the same thing with my loft It's about 99.7% savaged wood and recycled material. I wish you luck! yours is gonna be nicer than mine for sure! It look great! keep me posted.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's really cool.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wall 2

It looks like it is going to be one wall a week since I am doing it all by myself. If I had a crew I am sure it would be a two day deal but oh well it will be done by the end of October and that is good enough for me.

I also noticed the picture commet from trooper123 and all I have to say is that before I started on this wall today I was up early and got a little wood cut, Roy I do have other things to do besides the loft like Kids, cut grass, you know the general and once in a while sit on my but.

Today it is raining and that is supposed to go on for the rest of the week so what do ya do:rolleyes:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3-4 framed

Thanks Terri, if this rain would stop I could get a little more done. I am thinking one more day on the walls then a couple of days on the roof and I can relaxe a little but I still want to move some of my birds in by the end of October before the snow starts anyway.

The widows are on the west wall and won't get any shade so they are tinted in hopes it will keep it cooler

·
Registered
441 Posts
Patterson, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT! Your recycled loft is great! All your birds are going to be so happy in there! And I must say I am so tickled PINK you are adopting two Kings from Elizabeth , www.mickacoo.org!!! You are going to love them. Funny, funny birds . . . and they understand every word you say . . . really :D They'e just big, beautiful, bossy birds. And I know sooner or later one of our wonderful members will come along and help you out with the blue bars you are looking for. If I had some, they would be yours! Good Luck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kings

Patterson, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT! Your recycled loft is great! All your birds are going to be so happy in there! And I must say I am so tickled PINK you are adopting two Kings from Elizabeth , www.mickacoo.org!!! You are going to love them. Funny, funny birds . . . and they understand every word you say . . . really :D They'e just big, beautiful, bossy birds. And I know sooner or later one of our wonderful members will come along and help you out with the blue bars you are looking for. If I had some, they would be yours! Good Luck!
Thanks Debbie, it has turned out to be a challange. I am going to use every scrap that I have brought home. I keep thinking I am going to have to buy some lumber but I dig threw the pile and find something that works.

I was going to take a pair of the kings anyway but after talking with Elizabeth I think her concerns about them going from Cal to Mi. with the temperature differance might prove to be to much for them. It is getting colder by the day here and if they did end up sick, well I would feel terrible. I would end up fighting with the wife when they had to be moved into the house for the winter:mad: She does not mind a week or two and probally would keep them in all the time if they did not molt. She could get past the part of the dogs barking wanting to play with them so we shall just take care of that in the spring:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
oh poo . . . and I was gettin soo excited :( Maybe you could think of useing a heat lamp or heating element. I am. But Elizabeth does know whats best. My guys have been here (Indiana) since last spring so I think they will do ok this winter...but I am using a little heat just in case.

We are going to hold you to your adoption promise for spring tho! :D

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Looks great, I did the same thing with free materials and just finished it yesterday. Not as professional looking as yours but still works very well and the birds don't seem to mind the non-perfection. :p Great job!!! It's really not easy to do!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
first rafter up

well it's taking longer then I wanted but my oldest Daughter is married now and last weekend I had to work mandatory overtime. As for this weekend, I cut wood all day yesterday and half the day today then worked the rest of the day on the loft. I know the truss really does not fit right but once again they were free. I should have the rest of them up and the roof sheeted by tomorrow and hope to be moving birds in by next Sunday. If I don't make it by Sunday I believe I will still make my goal of being finished by the end of the month.

G

·
well it's taking longer then I wanted but my oldest Daughter is married now and last weekend I had to work mandatory overtime. As for this weekend, I cut wood all day yesterday and half the day today then worked the rest of the day on the loft. I know the truss really does not fit right but once again they were free. I should have the rest of them up and the roof sheeted by tomorrow and hope to be moving birds in by next Sunday. If I don't make it by Sunday I believe I will still make my goal of being finished by the end of the month.
I think once you paint it all the same color everything will look like it fits much better :) I think you are doing a great job ,keep up the good work ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
paint

Coming together very nicely!:)
Thank you Victor & Lokota for the support, it's a puzzle but it will work just fine and for what I am using I like it. I thought it was going to look totally ghetto but it's working out OK for where I live. I did buy paint for 70% off because a shelf fell at the local hardware store and Jim the owner was nice enough to sell it to me instead of just discarding it, the cans are just bent up with a little paint from other cans on them. The only problem with painting is, the doctor said that I am allergic to paint brushes so I don't know if it will be done this year :D >Kevin

1 - 20 of 37 Posts