Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bumming out, I let my Homers out an hour and a half before dark, they never trapped! They are just sitting in the trees next door. I wonder why, any comments would be very helpful! I am sure they will trap in the morning. I just hope mister hawk is not around. I love my birds and I will say, they are in for winter. :(

·
Registered
862 Posts
Were your birds hungry when you let them out ? Maybe they saw a hawk around and they were spooked. Do you have a call for them to eat?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they were not hungry. I saw them before dark, just sitting in the trees next door. I feed them this morning and thought it would be ok to let them out an hour or so before dark. This is there 4th time out and they trapped before, I did have to pick a couple of them up at dark on the loft. I never feed them the days I let them out in the past but, today they ate this morning. I think I messed up! I am mad at myself, I broke the rules. I just hope they trap in the morning. I will be up to call them, they should be hungry. They are good birds, all my fault!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wake up before the hawk wakes up. You should be ok. We all learn from our mistakes.
At least yours are still alive. Two weeks ago I had a youngster snatched from 6 feet from me. All I saw was a cloud of white feathers. It was the MOST incredible thing I ever saw. Then I found the hawk with my homer. The hawk try to fly with it and dropped it. When I got my bird it died 10 minutes later. But at least the hawk didn't get to enjoy it. Just wantedto share this. Good luck in the morning.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hopefully you get lucky and all make it back safely.I on the other hand wasn't.As one of my prized tumbler did'nt come back to the loft 2 days ago.She had problems with her primary flights after the moult,thus not being able to fly at full speed.I was upset that evening thinking that no way she was going to make it back with coopers around.

As i am standing in my driveway with a co worker yesterday morning, my tumbler comes back , flying and tumbling slowly.I got really excited ,but that changed when she landed on my neighbor's tree that had a cooper sitting on it an hour earlier.I knew she was going to be in trouble,not even seconds later the cooper comes and lands right on top of her on the tree.I rush towards my back yard hollering at the hawk,hoping that i scare him off my bird.But he just picks her up and takes of with her towards the next block.I jump in my vehicle and drive hoping to locate them,No luck.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Life is an experience, we all at sometime would like to change how much we fed,too windy,not enough sun,too late in the day,too early,how many we let out,afterwards. Point is no one stops learning. Don't be so hard on yourself, you will correct the problem in the morning,concentrate on that. Quarter rations in the morning before release so as not to confuse the birds on feeding times. Make sure they listen to feed call. Maybe light in loft so when it gets dark they can still find thier way in,maybe even back yard light also. Good Luck Kurps

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't sleep all night, cause I worried about my birds all night...:( I am just waiting for day light to call them in. They will be grounded, just hope Mr. Hawk is not around!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
stay out there if you can and keep calling them in.... They should of been trapping in with your feed call from a settling cage before you let them out....not sure if you had that down pat, but they should do the same from loft flying if you trained them properly. the only way to "control" the birds is through their hunger, so when they come back to the loft, do the training over again with the feed call from the settling cage where they are safe, when they do not hesitate to trap in with your feed call and they should if you have the feed right, they should do the same out loft flying.... young birds can be a bit confused when out for the first few time though. stay out there to deter a hawk, they have to bring a bird to the ground first to eat it , so many time you can save a bird if you can see the hit and go get the bird from the hawk....Ive done it a few times and the birds were fine.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still won't come in, they are flying circles and ignoring the feed whistle...:( Just how does the settling cage work? I thought I was doing it right. I put them in the front cage and set the drop trap and they come in, they have come in the other times.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Still won't come in, they are flying circles and ignoring the feed whistle...:( Just how does the settling cage work? I thought I was doing it right. I put them in the front cage and set the drop trap and they come in, they have come in the other times.
well, sounds like you have the right idea about the settling cage, it is the amount of feed you need to work on now, the birds would come in like bullets if they were hungry..... need to work on that part, do it from the settling cage untill you know how much or NOT how much to feed. they will only come in if they are hungry and usually at night if they know where the trap is. sounds like they do not have incentive to go to the loft, which hunger should bring about.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5 out of seven are in, still two out. I don't think I should feed them today? What do you think?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
5 out of seven are in, still two out. I don't think I should feed them today? What do you think?
feeding them in the loft is their reward, so yes you do need to feed them now. when it comes time to let them loft fly again, make sure you know they are hungry before they go out. by measuring the feed everyday and calling them to eat and they come to the feeder right away, or if you put them in the settling cage and they trap in like clock work and then eat everthing in about 10 or 15 mins and nothing is left, and they know your feed call 100% and you know they do, then you can let them out again, skipping the am feed. they should be hungry enough to come to the loft to eat their meal...measuring and getting the feed right is tricky and comes with patience and practice. start with measuring it and then you will know if you are over feeding or even under feeding which can happen, if every morsel is gone in 5 mins that is not enough, if a few strays are left in say a 15 min period that is about right, but if they do not come in well perhaps you have to cut that back, so it is all in how they act which would tell you if your over feeding. you will know or they will show you when you got right. say you feed twice a day, make sure you do not overfeed, on the day you let them fly, skip the feeding before you let them out. let them out a few hours and then call them in for their meal....good luck!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
feeding them in the loft is their reward, so yes you do need to feed them now. when it comes time to let them loft fly again, make sure you know they are hungry before they go out. by measuring the feed everyday and calling them to eat and they come to the feeder right away, or if you put them in the settling cage and they trap in like clock work and then eat everthing in about 10 or 15 mins and nothing is left, and they know your feed call 100% and you know they do, then you can let them out again, skipping the am feed. they should be hungry enough to come to the loft to eat their meal...measuring and getting the feed right is tricky and comes with patience and practice. start with measuring it and then you will know if you are over feeding or even under feeding which can happen, if every morsel is gone in 5 mins that is not enough, if a few strays are left in say a 15 min period that is about right, but if they do not come in well perhaps you have to cut that back, so it is all in how they act which would tell you if your over feeding. you will know or they will show you when you got right. say you feed twice a day, make sure you do not overfeed, on the day you let them fly, skip the feeding before you let them out. let them out a few hours and then call them in for their meal....good luck!
Thank you Spirit Wings, I will do like you say. They are all in now, boy am I lucky no hawks today. I am going to go feed them now.
Thank you all for the comments, means alot to me...:)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thank you Spirit Wings, I will do like you say. They are all in now, boy am I lucky no hawks today. I am going to go feed them now.
Thank you all for the comments, means alot to me...:)
your welcome, I know how fustrating it can be....when you get it right, the birds show you that... glad they are all back in..good about no hawk sitings....wish it was the same here. I let some youngs out, starting basket training from across the street this morning and one got hit, but I did as I said before and ran and yelled at them on the ground. the bird got away and got back to the loft and trapped...whoosh...what a morning. I think my training days may be limited if this goes on everytime....we will see..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just want to thank everyone for the comments and support. I learned a big lesson today. I am so happy my birds are safe and sound!

G

·
No, they were not hungry. I saw them before dark, just sitting in the trees next door. I feed them this morning and thought it would be ok to let them out an hour or so before dark. This is there 4th time out and they trapped before, I did have to pick a couple of them up at dark on the loft. I never feed them the days I let them out in the past but, today they ate this morning. I think I messed up! I am mad at myself, I broke the rules. I just hope they trap in the morning. I will be up to call them, they should be hungry. They are good birds, all my fault!
I think the problem with your birds is that you are letting them out only so few times that they have no routine to know what to do .. most people let their birds out everyday or at least every other day so their birds know exactly what to do ,letting them out once a week doesnt get them into the routine of coming back into the trap every day ..if you have a hawk problem which usually does accour this time of year its hard to get them trained but you still cant expect them to know what to do if you only let them out once a week or once every two weeks they just cant grasp what they need to do if they only have gotten out 4 times in a month or more .. they need more out time to get the training down ..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the problem with your birds is that you are letting them out only so few times that they have no routine to know what to do .. most people let their birds out everyday or at least every other day so their birds know exactly what to do ,letting them out once a week doesnt get them into the routine of coming back into the trap every day ..if you have a hawk problem which usually does accour this time of year its hard to get them trained but you still cant expect them to know what to do if you only let them out once a week or once every two weeks they just cant grasp what they need to do if they only have gotten out 4 times in a month or more .. they need more out time to get the training down ..
Thanks Locotaloft, I need all the help I can get...:D I am always open for ideas and I think your right on this one.....:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts