Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right spot to post this, so if it has to be moved I apologize.

I was thinking of buying infertile eggs, or eggs that no one wanted to have incubated under their hens for craft purposes. Either paying for the eggs and their shipping, or maybe just covering shipping on some free eggs.

Wasn't sure how I would go about asking about this...? Don't know if there is already someone who has laid claim to any eggs like this...? I don't want to step on anyones toes or make enemies in this.

My interest is in eggs that are infertile, or eggs that would be fertile but which are going to removed from the hen for whatever reason. If you don't eat them or feed them to any other animals and maybe they are just bound for the trash, I'd be very interested in them.
(I'd prefer eggs that are not rotten, I've had a few 'explosions' and it's not something I like to repeat. :eek: )

I have ABSOLUTELY NO interest in hatching them, NONE whatsoever, my focus would be to blow them out, sanitize them and either carve or etch them for crafting purposes. I'd then resell them on ebay to, ideally, bring in a little cash to build a proper area for my current pair.

I do alot of crafting, mostly jewelrymaking, but my pair of pigeons recently broke their two eggs (my fault, Im sure) and I sanitized and used some of the shell pieces for earrings which sold instantly to a friend. :)

That got me $5 closer to building a proper home for my two featherkids.

I do have experience with various types of eggart including museum preservation, vaccuforming and resin preservation, though it has been with poultry & ratite eggs. Pigeon/Dove will be new, but an egg is an egg is an egg when it comes to crafting and preservation. :p

Would this be something I can get into here? Does anyone even have eggs that might fit the bill for me? I don't know what the "proper protocol" would be for infertile or unwanted eggs anyhow...? I know some mentioned feeding them to crows, and I know several people that eat them. But would anyone consider sending them to someone who wants to craft with them?

Anyways, enough babble! I'm a typing machine.

Let me know what you think of this. Again, I apologize if this has to be scooted to a different forum. :eek:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
as long as you pay shipping Im sure there would be alot of eggs to go around for you..as when breeding is over the eggs have to be switched out with fake ones anyway.. but paying for shipping and hope they are in one piece may get old... what you ought to do..is keep a flock of your own pigeons and use the eggs for your craft.. pretty neat coming from your own pigeons!...lol.. just a thought, I know of folks who do this with their chickens eggs esp before easter.. sounds fun.. but pigeon's eggs are small and wonder how hard they are to blow out.. have you done it before?:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as long as you pay shipping Im sure there would be alot of eggs to go around for you..as when breeding is over the eggs have to be switched out with fake ones anyway.. but paying for shipping and hope they are in one piece may get old... what you ought to do..is keep a flock of your own pigeons and use the eggs for your craft.. pretty neat coming from your own pigeons!...lol.. just a thought, I know of folks who do this with their chickens eggs esp before easter.. sounds fun.. but pigeon's eggs are small and wonder how hard they are to blow out.. have you done it before?:)

I am not in a position to build an outdoor loft just yet, hence wanting eggs from people that do have a loft to craft and resell to, hopefully, make some cash for savings for the future time I am able to invest more in a loft and additiona birds. (wow, long run-on sentence!)

The size of the eggs wouldn't be much of a concern. I've worked with both quail (similar size) and finch (very delicate) so that's not too worrisome for me. Believe it or not, ostrich eggs can be more hassle than finch eggs, bigger is not always easier. I've worn down so many dremel bits with hard-shelled ostrich eggs it's pathetic. :D And the smaller the egg, the more hand-tooling is able to be done. Time consuming and well worth every bit of frustration they cause.

Depending on shell thicknesses and brittleness in general, "blowing" might not be done at all in the sense that you might be thinking, with two eggs and blowing by mouth on one end. In the past I've used a hypo to "suck" the contents out. Normally only have to bore one hole which keeps the egg intact. Forceful blowing can cause a mouthful of eggshells too, removing it with a steel needle is normally easier if the egg is to remain whole. I also personally prefer single holes as opposed to double if I can help it at all. And the smaller the hole the better, imo.

Then again, if they're going to be made into music boxes or trinket boxes, I would cut them directly in half, and just dump the perfect unbroken yolk and white into a bowl. Double bonus, omolette time. :p

Thanks for the info. Was just curious if there would be the possibility of me getting eggs from members here at any point and time. Could always order them online from egg suppliers, but thought if members here were to toss them anyhow I'd see if I could give a bit of second life to the eggs. ;)

Oo, random idea, I could also start offering egg art as awards for races or other member things. I think I saw a post somewhere where some people donated a few items to the winner. Might be something to consider too. An egg totem trophy or something. lol

Babble babble, I'm done now.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am not in a position to build an outdoor loft just yet, hence wanting eggs from people that do have a loft to craft and resell to, hopefully, make some cash for savings for the future time I am able to invest more in a loft and additiona birds. (wow, long run-on sentence!)

The size of the eggs wouldn't be much of a concern. I've worked with both quail (similar size) and finch (very delicate) so that's not too worrisome for me. Believe it or not, ostrich eggs can be more hassle than finch eggs, bigger is not always easier. I've worn down so many dremel bits with hard-shelled ostrich eggs it's pathetic. :D And the smaller the egg, the more hand-tooling is able to be done. Time consuming and well worth every bit of frustration they cause.

Depending on shell thicknesses and brittleness in general, "blowing" might not be done at all in the sense that you might be thinking, with two eggs and blowing by mouth on one end. In the past I've used a hypo to "suck" the contents out. Normally only have to bore one hole which keeps the egg intact. Forceful blowing can cause a mouthful of eggshells too, removing it with a steel needle is normally easier if the egg is to remain whole. I also personally prefer single holes as opposed to double if I can help it at all. And the smaller the hole the better, imo.

Then again, if they're going to be made into music boxes or trinket boxes, I would cut them directly in half, and just dump the perfect unbroken yolk and white into a bowl. Double bonus, omolette time. :p

Thanks for the info. Was just curious if there would be the possibility of me getting eggs from members here at any point and time. Could always order them online from egg suppliers, but thought if members here were to toss them anyhow I'd see if I could give a bit of second life to the eggs. ;)

Oo, random idea, I could also start offering egg art as awards for races or other member things. I think I saw a post somewhere where some people donated a few items to the winner. Might be something to consider too. An egg totem trophy or something. lol

Babble babble, I'm done now.
you must be very talented!... I just put 10 eggs out yesterday on the potting bench for the crows!.. I will keep you inmind when I collect again..

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Wish I could help also , but I'm even further !

I would love to see some of your work ........Do you think you could post a couple of pictures up ?

D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can definitely get some pics up, let me dig them out of the SD Cards and get them on photobucket.

I've got ads locally as well, but so far no bites... well I did have one bite, but he offered me Turkey eggs and not pigeon. I'm planning on putting a couple ads in the Weekly Trader magazine next month which covers most of the state to see how that goes.

I'd have no problems covering shipping from Virginia if you wanted to pack some up, doveone52.
6-12 would be great, if you had them. I'd pay per egg as well as the shipping. I have PayPal, or can send a Money Order. Whatever might work for you, if you'd consider shipping them.

Pics on the way, will search for them after I send this.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Microcat, I will start collecting. Do you want dove eggs, too? I've been throwing out eggs left and right so it might take a couple of weeks. I'll keep them in the fridge so they won't go bad. OK? Approx how many do you want and do you need them sooner? Of course no charge for the eggs!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doveone, Dove eggs would be fine as well. Pretty confident I can work with anything avian.
Appreciate you holding some for me! Thanks!! No rush on when you get them, I'll be getting some turkey eggs this week and some chicken eggs on the 4th to start on some russian nesting sets and a music box I've had in mind for way too long. Would 6 be too many? I'd consider more as well of course, don't want to be greedy. Actually, anything would be fine. Let me know via PM your payment info; if you prefer paypal or money order or trades. :D Whatever!

Here's some photos I dug up out of the archives, these are from the past 8 years so none of them are currently here anymore.

Ukranian style, high gloss museum pieces. Very time consuming, for me at least. Theres probably some people that can fly through these in 5 minutes or something.

Whimsical holiday ornaments. Nothing fancy, but they sold like crazy a few years back.

Hand painting a ratite egg. This is kind of a paint by number method really, just fill in the areas like a coloring book page, the line art is a transfer like a temporary tattoo in a way, but people with artistic skill (not me) can hand-draw it on with beeswax if they want.

I'll do some more eggshell jewelry pieces and get pics of those this weekend. I still have some pieces from the eggs my pair broke. I didn't think to get a pic of the pair of earrings that sold so quick. lol!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've made a lot of chicken egg ornaments, but with rub on transfers, since I'm not very good at drawing/painting on small, round surfaces. I have some pigeon and quail eggs blown out as well. Out of curiosity, I burned a picture into a pigeon egg with a wood burning tool. Smelled horrible but it looks cool!

I LOVE the Ukrainian eggs. I've always wanted to do pysanky and stuff like that, but it seems so difficult! Plus, I don't have one of those tools.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've made a lot of chicken egg ornaments, but with rub on transfers, since I'm not very good at drawing/painting on small, round surfaces. I have some pigeon and quail eggs blown out as well. Out of curiosity, I burned a picture into a pigeon egg with a wood burning tool. Smelled horrible but it looks cool!

I LOVE the Ukrainian eggs. I've always wanted to do pysanky and stuff like that, but it seems so difficult! Plus, I don't have one of those tools.

haha, I'm a big fan of the transfers too! Especially the line art ones that give me a lined area to paint within. If it's just a design, like on the Ukrainian eggs, I have no problems... but actually free-hand drawing something with detail and I am out of luck!

Got any photos of your eggs? Feel free to post them if you want. Might give me some ideas for the future. ;)

eBay is my best friend sometimes with the odd little imported tools and gadgets for the pysanky types like the kistka (tool I believe you were referring to). They are only about $5 on average so not much of an investment and come in a few different sizes and styles, they are really handy. I've tried other makeshift stylus type items and nothing works as well as the imported copper tip droppers.

Oh! And there's a company called Delphi Glass which has been my friend for several years. They are more on the jewelry/beadwork/flamework side of crafts but they have various transfer and foil pieces in their fusing and dichoric sections that work on eggs.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Doveone, Dove eggs would be fine as well. Pretty confident I can work with anything avian.
Appreciate you holding some for me! Thanks!! No rush on when you get them, I'll be getting some turkey eggs this week and some chicken eggs on the 4th to start on some russian nesting sets and a music box I've had in mind for way too long. Would 6 be too many? I'd consider more as well of course, don't want to be greedy. Actually, anything would be fine. Let me know via PM your payment info; if you prefer paypal or money order or trades. :D Whatever!

Here's some photos I dug up out of the archives, these are from the past 8 years so none of them are currently here anymore.

Ukranian style, high gloss museum pieces. Very time consuming, for me at least. Theres probably some people that can fly through these in 5 minutes or something.

Whimsical holiday ornaments. Nothing fancy, but they sold like crazy a few years back.

Hand painting a ratite egg. This is kind of a paint by number method really, just fill in the areas like a coloring book page, the line art is a transfer like a temporary tattoo in a way, but people with artistic skill (not me) can hand-draw it on with beeswax if they want.

I'll do some more eggshell jewelry pieces and get pics of those this weekend. I still have some pieces from the eggs my pair broke. I didn't think to get a pic of the pair of earrings that sold so quick. lol!
I new it!!! you are talented... very talented!!!!! beautiful eggs... I will have you pm me your address when I start getting more eggs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.