Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

What is the best way to give a baby pigeon with splayed legs Calcium With Vitamin D3 . I can get some tablets from Ebay but I'm wondering how to give them to the baby bird. Can they be crushed up and be mixed in with the parents food and they will then feed it to the baby.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I give my hand reared hatchlings Calcivet calcium +D3 it's a liquid and comes in a dropper bottle so it's easy to regulate. I give mine one drop once a day in one of their formula (Kaytee) feeds and when they're weaned I put one drop in their water bowl daily. They don't get sunshine atm because they're too young for an aviary so I like to make sure they get a good source of calcium and D3.
To prevent splayed legs I keep the chicks on Eco Nest bedding with a toweling material underneath so as they can grip without slipping. Eco Nest is made from shreds of cardboard and they can grip that too. It's also fabulous to keep clean because you can pick out poo that attaches to individual strands of the cardboard. The towelling is there in case they move too much Eco Nest from under foot and they still have something to grip on.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It'll take more than calcium and D3 to fix a splayed leg. It will have to be wrapped. How old is the bird?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It would help a lot. The leg will have to be brought back into the correct position. The sooner it is done, the better the chance of fixing it. As he gets older and wants to walk around, it gets a little more difficult.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Lol donkey - yes it seems dear but it's rather heavy and the Royal Mail's just put charges up too. It lasts a long while though so it works out cost effective. You may have a pet shop near you who sells it, I'm just lazy and rather than drive around using petrol I'd sooner pay postage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today when i looked at him his legs looked fine and they were underneath him. But when he tries to move his legs go out to the sides and he just seems to crawl around. I took the Hay out and just put some kitchen towel in as i was thinking he might be able to grip that better than the Hay. Hes about 10 days old now,should he be standing up at this age and walking around ?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've seen it done with micropore surgical tape, it's put lightly around each leg and positioned into line with the tape in the middle stuck to itself so as it doesn't stick to her body. This could be done in stages and bring the legs into a better position each day so as it's not too uncomfortable for the chick. Micropore won't stick to the leg and damage the skin because it's made specifically not to.
I think I saw this on a YouTube video but it may have been anywhere tbh because I'm always googling stuff about pigeons, lol.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.