Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased birds from a man the other day trying to sell them for dog training, I reported him. I just now get a call from H/S & Animal Control asking if I could take some sick birds and some that looked okay. They said there was also some signs of abuse to the birds. They had a warrent and seized all the birds. More on this as I find out more. Jim

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Woo-hoo! Good for you!! Doesn't it feel good that you made a difference. That's great to hear they're taking it seriously. You did scare me with the title though, I thought they had called you about your birds, some nosy/troublesome neighbor complaining about the noise or something dumb. No one EVER wants to hear that lol.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
When I purchased birds from a man the other day trying to sell them for dog training, I reported him. I just now get a call from H/S & Animal Control asking if I could take some sick birds and some that looked okay. They said there was also some signs of abuse to the birds. They had a warrent and seized all the birds. More on this as I find out more. Jim
ALL RIGHT!!! WAY TO GO!!! It's my understanding that ALL people who use birds for dog training DO NOT abuse the birds at all. But, there are also some horror stories out there. I'm glad SOMEONE had the guts to make the report and let the AC people determine whether anything was going on that shouldn't be.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Good job, Jim! Sounds like you have been "discovered" by the local animal rescue/shelter folks .. just be sure that you don't let yourself become overwhelmed. There are lots more out there that need rescuing/homes/help than most people can even image. Trust me .. I've been there, done that, and am still doing it.

Terry

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
OK not related to the topic but has anyone noticed that MJ looks exactly like the MJ from spider man :O I just noticed that while going through the mug shots...tell us MJ are you an actress in Spider Man movies? lol :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update: Found more problems than I could handle with all these sick & hurt birds. Some had been cut and some looked like they had been beaten. Most of them had food poisoning, from eating spoiled food. I had to call a friend for help (a vet). I also call a couple of friends to take some of the birds as there was more than i could handle. The man responsible for all this has to appear before a judge Thursday morning. There was 26 birds alive and 10 dead, when they arrived.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
wow :O man that's just brutal. Like who does that in the first place. Like if you're gonna end up hurting some innocent pigeons why bother keeping them anyways. Please like him deserve to be put in prison. If he was in front of me i would have given him a piece of my mind. Well you're doing an amazing job Jim. You and all the people working with you are great :) I hope you can somehow save all those birds. I'm sure all of them are great pigeons, they've just been too abused. Times like these when i wish i was living in the US so i could adopt a few...props to you jim :)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is so sad! At least now those that survive will receive some tender loving care...and those that don't will at least be free from the horror.

We belong to what can be the cruelest, most destructive species on earth. Thank goodness we have people like you so that we can also say that we belong to what can be the most compassionate species.

Cynthia

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It's great that you and your friends have stepped up to the plate and taken in these poor suffering pigeons. You are a true hero in our book!:D

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Jim, how wonderful for you to not only report this jackass but try to help the pigeons he abused.

I don't know if this will help or not but there used to be a place between New Bern and Morehead City (about at the MH city limits) called "Outer Banks Wildlife Center". We lived at Emerald Isle (vacation home) for many years and after we got into rehabbing, I would stop by there. I was very impressed with these folks even though I disagreed with some of their policies like PTS any bird that could not be released into the wild but I suppose they may get federal funding and have to strictly adhere to the law.

What I'm wondering is whether you could at least seek their advice. I did on a few occasions and found them very helpful. Of course, I never turned any bird over to them but simply talked to them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim, how wonderful for you to not only report this jackass but try to help the pigeons he abused.

I don't know if this will help or not but there used to be a place between New Bern and Morehead City (about at the MH city limits) called "Outer Banks Wildlife Center". We lived at Emerald Isle (vacation home) for many years and after we got into rehabbing, I would stop by there. I was very impressed with these folks even though I disagreed with some of their policies like PTS any bird that could not be released into the wild but I suppose they may get federal funding and have to strictly adhere to the law.

What I'm wondering is whether you could at least seek their advice. I did on a few occasions and found them very helpful. Of course, I never turned any bird over to them but simply talked to them.
I have a good friend that is a avian vet. He also has lots of birds. He helps me more than those people. I know who you talking about and we don't see eye to eye.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for dealing with all these sick birds and the ones that are healthy, I wish to be close and help you with them, at least you have friends and want to help the birds, you are my heroe. =)

Is just hard to believe that people can do all those bad things to indefense animals, but at least they have you now and will be in a nice place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good On Ya Mate...

Jim...

Thank you for being a friend to these animals !!! Your caring for these birds is a most generous undertaking... Your willingness to stand up and blow the whistle on these people is truly above and beyond... May your good Karma be returned to you ten fold !!!

Keep-em-Flying...

Dr.E... :cool:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so glad you have other resources and help with these birds, I'm sure it is overwhelming.

Thank you and God bless you, for helping these pigeons, His little creature's.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Well done, Jim.

Just a thought: Perhaps the man responsible for the damage and abuse should be made to reimburse for medical expenses and rescue-related costs.

He should rectify the damage he has done.

If the money went to Animal Control, possibly it would stimulate them to be alert to other similar cases of abuse in the future (assuming that they are not "overfunded.")

Some money should also go to the one incurring expenses (you) as an interested party, so that Animal Control would not become corrupted (it does happen) by taking a high bid or bribe from the abuser to not report or take action. The action needs to be made public.

If the abuser wants to get back at you, let him be aware that he is vastly outnumbered by those who would be willing to write letters of support to the appropriate authorities. I am sure many of us here at PT would have the time to make this effort of support. Whistle-blowers need support. If you incur any form of abuse, be sure to tape-record, take visual evidence, whatever. Just some thoughts on the matter.

Larry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts