Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My friend has around 10 pigeons. They behaved good. But now a cock has started fighting everyone all of sudden. He chases other pigeons. No fighting inside loft. He beat others when we let them out twice daily. He was our favorite white cock but now we totally hate him. Is there any way to change his habits and make him calm again?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi,

-Either you have to lock him up for some days in his own pen so that others may open up in absence of his dominance and he may become less dominant staying in his own pen basically loose his authority over the territory.
-or remove him away from your loft for some days so that others may open up in his absence and defend their turf against him.
-One more thing you can do is to handcuff his legs in a way that he can walk taking small steps but can't move/run with a pace so won't fight as pigeons push with their legs when fighting,also he won't chase others around with legs handcuffed. This thing may sound brute but gotta do it for pigeons welfare. They need to be managed. Sometimes a bully cock won't stop bulling when he's intoduced back into loft after a couple of days/week of prison but this handcuff method works out for me everytime provided that there are other males in the loft ready for take over. Its all about heirarchy. Not a thread but tie the legs with a centimetre wide ribbon so that it don't hurt the legs. Once he get retailiation from other males he'll be on track to co-existence. He gotta learn to tolerate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He became father recently. After becoming father he don't tolerate any cock to come near his box. I cannot remove him from loft. Or will the mother feed the babies? And i remove him from loft for some days

He was good on sitting eggs. But when babies hatched he is just fighting. He don't let me touch him or nest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Are the other birds also pairs or singles?

Breeding pairs don't like to have single birds around becuase they are a threat to their 'marriage' so they get more defensive.

Also singles or fighting pigeons can be a threat to the babies. Best to keep breeders away from the others.

If they are all breeding pairs you can try locking him in with his mate and babies. If you don't have a nest front you can easily make something temporary.

you can take turns letting him out to stretch his wings and keeping an eye out.

Also pigeons are not as stupid as we think. I had an aggressive cock who would not let anyone bathe. When I put the bath in he'd go first, but then he'd just hang around.
So then when I put the bath, I'd let him bathe. Then when he was done I'd grab him and put him in his sunning spot. And do it again and again any time he came to bother the others trying to have a bath.

He doesn't do it anymore and just goes to his shelf and coos a lot at me in annoyance :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replying pigeon gene.
I have four pairs in loft and all are raising babies only one has eggs.
I have a lone hen but she sit on top perch and never come down. All pigeons beat her so she is scared.

The nest box is small. Will not the cock be bored? He frequently come to strut. He's very active

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
He became father recently. After becoming father he don't tolerate any cock to come near his box. I cannot remove him from loft. Or will the mother feed the babies? And i remove him from loft for some days

He was good on sitting eggs. But when babies hatched he is just fighting. He don't let me touch him or nest.
If the cock is breeding then removing him or handcuffing his feet aren't viable options. You need lock him in his pen with grains,grit and water in it. You can let him out to stretch his wings under your supervision when others are inside the loft if you don't want him to chase others around.

He is a protective father which is normal. He may injure others and himself as well fighting with others so lock him up in his pen until he calms down again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
At what height is his box? If you post a pic of your set up I can give you some better pointers as how to make a little space for him to be locked in.

Get some chicken wire or hardware cloth (you might not even need any wood for a frame if you use hardware cloth)

And make a largish, like 1-2ft deep (depending on how small his box is), as wide as his box and as high as his box - if you can make it bigger without getting in the way of the other nest boxes make it as big as you can.

Have one side open and the opposite side with a little door so you can let him out when you want to.

Put the open side on his nest box and attach it - screws, hooks, wire ties, whatever works

You basically need to make a safe box for him to move around in without being able to bully anyone

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions ThePigeonGene,
I will try to do it.
The nestbox is on ground. Its a temporary nestbox. Someone was shifting to new home and gave them to us at cheap prices. We were not ready for them. They laid before we can make a loft for them. They're in small coop now. When their babies grow up we will shift them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.