Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the pigeon we have is a Rock pigeon. Many of you have seen him/her in another one of my threads. It's still a juvenile/young bird, but weaned. All I know about pigeons, I've learned here in the last week+. Can a Rock pigeon be trained to come back to the loft I'm currently building? Not that coming back to a loft qualifies a pigeon as a homing pigeon. I suppose my title may be misleading. I only want to know if a Rock pigeon (assuming that's what he/she is) can be trained to come home. I don't know that I would be so motivated assuming he would just fly away and never come back. I would prefer it be free, than to never be let out for fear of it flying away for good.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey William,
All breeds of pigeons have homing instincts in them but how much tuned depends on the breed.
Since you have a feral pigeon he has homing instincts in him for sure. I've seen ferals going upto 50kms away from their nesting sites to forage for food. So your pigeon do have homing instincts in him but how strong,means from how far he can home back,can't be said for sure.
Members here on PT did share about their ferals pigeon pets stay at their place without leaving for years. But letting a single pet bird out always have a risk.
You can't expect from your bird to home back from hundreds of miles away as it could be expected from a homer derived from selective breeding for the purpose but you can expect your pigeon to come back from several miles away,if he settles himself at your home.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey William,
All breeds of pigeons have homing instincts in them but how much tuned depends on the breed.
Since you have a feral pigeon he has homing instincts in him for sure. I've seen ferals going upto 50kms away from their nesting sites to forage for food. So your pigeon do have homing instincts in him but how strong,means from how far he can home back,can't be said for sure.
Members here on PT did share about their ferals pigeon pets stay at their place without leaving for years. But letting a single pet bird out always have a risk.
You can't expect from your bird to home back from hundreds of miles away as it could be expected from a homer derived from selective breeding for the purpose but you can expect your pigeon to come back from several miles away,if he settles himself at your home.
Thank you. Once I complete the loft, we'll wait a while before letting him out to fly. We can only do our best at preparing to establish the loft as his home, but we have to try. Personally, I can't imagine not allowing a bird to spread it's wings and take flight. To have that ability (I know it's just a bird) and not have the opportunity to use it would be a shame. Again, all my opinion. Do you think it would help to find a mate for him/her first? Let them establish the loft as their home together? Our intention is to get a mate for the pigeon either way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you mean just opening the loft and letting it fly around - all pigeons should be able to do that.

The only problems arise when;

pigeons get startled by something and fly too far away and get lost

pigeons for some reason do not trust the loft. They do not feel it is secure and do not want to go back - you might have a predator prowling, too much fighting in an over crowded loft, vermin coming in at night, or a hawk hanging about. Or they are being disturbed too much by people - some breeds can be very flighty.

Pigeons that are singles and will either fly off to find a mate and maybe bring it home (happened to me when one of mine lost his mate) or they might just leave with the new found mate

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thank you. Once I complete the loft, we'll wait a while before letting him out to fly. We can only do our best at preparing to establish the loft as his home, but we have to try. Personally, I can't imagine not allowing a bird to spread it's wings and take flight. To have that ability (I know it's just a bird) and not have the opportunity to use it would be a shame. Again, all my opinion. Do you think it would help to find a mate for him/her first? Let them establish the loft as their home together? Our intention is to get a mate for the pigeon either way.
That will be so helpful,give him company and make him so happy and will probably help him to settle to your loft. Pigeons mature sexually at 5-7 months of age. If I'm not mistaken yours is a young bird(if your talking about the bird whose pics you shared with us) so you'll have to wait to let him free. Nothing can be said for sure about his/her gender as well whether he is he or she. So you never know what gender to buy for him. But getting him another pigeon will surely help him stay at your loft as he won't feel lonesome and will stay around him/her and become domestic.
I really like your thought that you wanna let him decide whether he wanna stay at your loft or not. I just wanna say that he's young and not trained by nature to live independently so keeping him confined for a couple of weeks more,tiil he become wise, would be best for him.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts