Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I have a pouter hen who was actually ready to lay an egg a couple of days ago but has not. It has been sitting in the nesting area for the last 2 days and when I have been checking on it it seems at times to be breathing a bit heavy. I gave the bird extra calcium along with putting it in a warm bath and added heat to its nesting area. I also put some olive oil in its vent to see if that will help pass the egg. The bird looks like it hasn't eaten much and also when feeling around for an egg I cant really locate it and it isn't near the vent. I did notice the bird poop and it was very normal but just a little watery but nothing concerning. Just wondering if a bird that is egg bound can poop normally? Any help because I do not want to lose this hen and I do not have an Avian veterinarian near me.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I guess it depends on where exactly the egg is inside her body? Not sure. Can you see her straining? Is her back haunched? Keep on giving the calcium. Does it have added Vit D3? You can also give a drop of cod liver oil.

If you see her straining, rather bring her inside and keep on soaking her in a warm bath till she passes the egg.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends on where exactly the egg is inside her body? Not sure. Can you see her straining? Is her back haunched? Keep on giving the calcium. Does it have added Vit D3? You can also give a drop of cod liver oil.

If you see her straining, rather bring her inside and keep on soaking her in a warm bath till she passes the egg.
She still has not passed the egg and seems to be fine. Has anyone ever had an issue where the bird is sitting on the nest and never ends up having the egg? Not sure why she hasn't laid it but it should have been laid by now?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
My one female is doing the same. I keep on checking for an egg, but there's none. Maybe they just feel comfortable sitting in the nest.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, my girls do the same. Like all of them. every few days I just have to check for eggs to make sure there are no unplanned babies. :) They like their nests because it's easier to keep warm and easier to protect. My boys often sit with my girls too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts