Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely! I have a few that fly to me when I call them. I even have one that comes to me when I simply hold out my hand (well...most of the time anyway :rolleyes:).
All I did was handle them a LOT (especially when they were young) and gain their trust (get them to feel comfortable eating out of your hand). Also, when I fed them, I had a feed whistle. Then, when they are out flying, I call them with the whistle and hold out my hand. If they come to me, they get a couple seeds for being a good pijie :)
Unfortunately, that is about the extent of my training knowledge. I hope/think there are probably other, more effective ways to train them to a better degree, and I have been trying to find them out myself. Hopefully someone comes along with better information!
Also, I should add that every pigeon is different and some are better listeners than others!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I, too, have been using a feed whistle everyday when I feed. It takes lots of time and I've been spending it with mine daily for only about a month or longer and they're just now starting to slightly warm up to me. I have one that comes to me when I walk in but he is older and I'm assuming a little more mature. Another thing I have read on here is to use Peanuts. Unsalted, Plain peanuts so I have been doing that and now that they are figuring out what they are, they go crazy when I leave some in their loft. Every time I give them some, I walk in and shake the can and say "Peanuts?" just so they associate the shaking of the can and the word to getting a treat and identify what it is I have in my hand. Its slow going, biggest thing is patience!
Theres also a video on here someone posted of a guy at the park with his pigeon that he has trained, The pigeon is perched on his hand, like a hawk, and then he flies. The guy calls him, he circles around and comes back and perches back on his hand so the possibility is there, just takes time! Good luck to you!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It's easier to get them friendly when you start at a young age, but not always necessary. Depends also on the personality of the bird. Some are just more curious and friendly than others. They have got to learn to trust you, which takes time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Birds come to hand during feed time if u have something very special for them to eat & if they have chicks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts