Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I have a bit of a problem with Ringo. This morning I went to check him and it looks like his wing is coming away from his body :( His injuries have scabbed over but smell, I clean them with salt water daily. He can no longer lift his wing and is falling over it. We trimmed the feathers the other day but the wing was now dropped even lower. Any advice of how best to deal with this would be great thank you.

Vikki

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Get some bandage and fix wing in natural position to body. This will take weight from bones and muscles and promote healing process.
I would use arnica pills too.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The wounds shouldn't smell...when did he finish his antibiotics?

Is there any chance at all of getting to Blackburn so that Nooti can have a look at it? In the meantime I will alert her to this post, maybe you can talk to her on the phone.

Cynthia

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The smell is of concern - unless perhaps it's just because he has feces on his feathers ? Does there seem to be inflammation if he finished an antibiotics course and it went for a good 7 days at least - could be he needs a different prescription. Definitely bandage the wing as noted above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have given him another wash today and the wound is clean, maybe its just his smell. I have attached some pictures of him taken when he went outside today. He seems happy in himself and is preening and eating well.

Please see below for the pics.

Vikki.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you can see from the picture of his wound. There are 2 big puncture wounds. The one that has the scab on it healing well. The other one is not soo good and you can feel the bones crunching underneath it. My concerns about strapping it up are that it will get infected s the air cant get to it.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The big scab looks like a necrotic plug that needs removing in order to allow the wound to heal from the inside, but I have e-mailed Pidgey and Nooti as they have more experience of this type of thing than I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I shal just wait to hear from you as to how best to deal with it then. He has tried pulling it when he is preening, but it is obviously hurting him as he stops very quickly :(

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi Vikki
I'm Helen from Blackburn. Just been reading the posts. Am concerned about the smell, this will be from either infection or rotting flesh, (gangrene). Either way the bird is in trouble. Antibiotics should not have been stopped but you were obviously not to know that. Looking at the photo I guess the bird will never fly again but hard to judge without hands on examination. Did he see a vet? Most Pet Vets don't know that birds need up to 10 times the mammalian dose of antibiotics, (as do hedgehogs) and as such don't get enough to deal with the problem. I am in Liverpool till at least lunchtime tomorrow. Don't know if I can be of any help?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Helen,

I was sent the anti biotics by feefo and it was a 7 day course. The smell is no longer there now he just has the scab. I am about 30 mins away from Liverpool but dont drive. He has not seen a vet as the ones that I have spoken to have told me to neck him! In himself he is happy my main concern is his wing and what is best to do for it. I very much doubt that he will be able to fly again but he can live here safely with us if he cannot be released.

I will PM you with my number.
Vikki.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I was sent the anti biotics by feefo and it was a 7 day course.
Yes, that is right. We were concerned about what had made the wound, so they were a prophylactic. That was the dose on the prescription and (to be honest) just about all I had left. Checked dose against "Nooti's Drug Chart" drug chart, duration against formulary in veterinary manual.

Helen, do you have any synulox that vikki could have?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Anytime they have an odor, I usually remove the stuff (scab and necrotic tissue) on top in order to make sure that the truly bad stuff doesn't go into a systemic infection. I have had a few over the years that, while there was some rot going on and it did give an odor, the body had very much cordoned the infection off and it wasn't a true danger to the bird. I think it's easier for them to do that when it's in the extremity. That one picture showing the black scabby area is a bit weird and difficult to tell what's going on. My impression from the photos is that the humerus may be comminuted (shattered into three or more pieces). Those usually don't mend in such a way as to allow future flight and they often result in a "non-union", where the bone never even gets back solid again. The yellowing in the skin around the wound points to a lot of inflammatory debris, but it doesn't look like the lower wing is going to die and rot off (but I still shouldn't speak too soon, should I?).

I've got a few in the loft that were similar and they've still got their wings. Some of them even flap them for exercise every day even though they're a tad rubbery. I think it's always been the males who do that, though, trying to impress the hens... goodness knows whether they actually feel any pain during the exercise--males WILL sometimes strain themselves in the pursuit of... companionship!

Pidgey

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i have a pigeon with a very similar injury under my care right now, one of the worst injuries i have seen as far as the wound goes, thankfully she has no broken bones.
she was attacked by a hawk i believe and had a 4 inch slice across her back down the side off her body under her wing, on her back it was extremely deep maybe a 1/2 inch, so gross, poor thing!
when she arrived i started to flush the wound and it went immediately into an air sack or lung, i thought i had killed her right then and there, but i didn't thankfully.
since i couldn't rinse or apply any topical antibiotics to the wound i loaded her with 2 anti biotics.
my vet gave her an injection of an anti biotic that is a one time injection that lasts 14 days, and i also gave her oral baytril for 10 days.
she had horrible looking scabs but they are all falling off now and the skin is granulating beautifully underneath.
i tend to leave the scabs alone as long as they are on antibiotics, sometimes severe bleeding can happen when you pull them off. in her case i wanted those scabs to protect and build tissue for her lung or air sack
i would have gone longer with the antibiotics if the wounds didn't look as good as they did, i have kept a bird on baytril as long as a month before.
i also havn't allowed her to bath at all and have kept her on bed rest in a cat carrier this entire time, i only allow her to walk around for a little while in the morning while i'm cleaning everyone up, but only after she was pretty much healed up and the fact that i can catch her pretty easily.
bad smells from a wound scream infection and if it was poops they shouldn't stink either
as far as the broken wing goes, it may be too late to wrap and have heal properly, but it may help him to have it immobilized during his healing if the bones are crunching around in there it must be extremely painful for him.
if we broke our arm we woudn't want it flopping around, every little wiggle would be agony

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I think to get the full picture it would help to read this case from the start, there are two other Ringo threads:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=42737&referrerid=560

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=42976&referrerid=560

The falling of the wing and the crunching of bones are new, this is what was reported previously:

"My hubby gave him a good check over last night and both his wings are unbroken, however he does have a gash under his left wing that is about 3-4" long . We gave it a clean last night before we went to bed. He was very good letting us do it so hopefully we will be able to do it again today", but I would like to point out that collared doves, specially adults, can get very stressed when confined and can die of a heart attack specially if they fall over and are unable to right themselves (I have seen this happen), hence the advice to leave Ringo in the cat carrier ...if there is any binding or immobilisation then the dove needs to be watched very carefully and all factors taken into account.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Vikki,

I haven't got any more Synulox so I have sent you some oral Baytril, this is what altgirl has been using...it should reach you by tomorrow. Can you weigh Ringo so that we can calculate the dose?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Cynthia,

Thank you I have managed to weigh him as best as I can and he is about 1-1.5kgs very difficult to get an exact weight as he wriggles lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, this may sound like me being daft but do you think I'm being cruel keeping him?

I have had someone I know be really nasty about it saying how mean I am keeping him and with the 'horrific' injury he should have been pts :(

It has really upset me as I am not in anyway wanting to see him suffer, or as she suggested keep him as a pet.

Sorry for the rant :(
Vikki.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
vikki i don't think your being horrible, having them euthed needs to be a decision that should be made right away.
you have gotten him over the most painful part , so it's too late to think about what you should or should not have done.
he may not ever be able to be released but if your willing to give him a forever home regret nothing and keep helping him get better.
btw the that sound a bit heavy for a dove they usually average around 150-200 grams or so, a kg is 2000 grams

1 - 20 of 36 Posts