Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok let me start with my loft ...its under a big hill and after that its all trees tall trees. my homer never flew around the loft before they been out almost everyday for months now .. they fly to the roof but even tho they are on the roof the cant see over the hill.

so my question is "can homer home if they never flew around the loft?"

thank you
Blong

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Some will some will not. I got six new young birds when I first started. They had been in my loft for one week when I left my trap door open by mistake. Next thing I knew all six birds are in the yard. they got scared and flew off. That afternoon three came back. None had ever left my loft before that day so I got back half this gives you a fifty fifty chance. Never give up hope.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some will some will not. I got six new young birds when I first started. They had been in my loft for one week when I left my trap door open by mistake. Next thing I knew all six birds are in the yard. they got scared and flew off. That afternoon three came back. None had ever left my loft before that day so I got back half this gives you a fifty fifty chance. Never give up hope.

God Bless,
Tony
wow really ... their first time they must be good

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so are these birds born from your loft and how old are they ? and are they homers ?
none of them are born here but they been here and outside for a long time and yes they are homer i have a open loft they come and go as the please....

G

·
well my guess is if they have been there and out an about for a while they should stay ..cant garentee that they will come back thou if they havent taken to the air yet especially if a hawk chases them off as that really freaks birds out but if they have flown around in the skies for a while Im pretty sure they should stick around .

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well my guess is if they have been there and out an about for a while they should stay ..cant garentee that they will come back thou if they havent taken to the air yet especially if a hawk chases them off as that really freaks birds out but if they have flown around in the skies for a while Im pretty sure they should stick around .
i mean they flew to the roof and walk around everywhere near the loft but never took to the sky before i have them for like 2.5 month now, if i try to train them to home can they still home well?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I tryed this with my birds one time, they were born
In my loft all they could do is see the outside never
Been out. Took them 12 miles down the road in two
Days they were back in my loft. Now that's a homer
To me.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Yes, it is possible. My 2 months old baby bird got chased by a hawk, but came back on the third day. I haven't seen that bird flew yet before, but stayed on the roof during those times. I thought I lost it permanently, but it came back. That bird is a pure homer ( the parents I breed from George Simon's birds). So that baby bird ranged (went somewhere) before it got chance to route (fly around the loft), but came back. It must have a pretty good homing ability.

G

·
so what do you mean by training your birds , I mean if they dont fly around chances are that if you take them down the road they wont come back ..but if they do fly around your house at least they have a better chance of coming back from a distance .

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it is possible. My 2 months old baby bird got chased by a hawk, but came back on the third day. I haven't seen that bird flew yet before, but stayed on the roof during those times. I thought I lost it permanently, but it came back. That bird is a pure homer ( the parents I breed from George Simon's birds). So that baby bird ranged (went somewhere) before it got chance to route (fly around the loft), but came back. It must have a pretty good homing ability.
yea! very good homing ability

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tryed this with my birds one time, they were born
In my loft all they could do is see the outside never
Been out. Took them 12 miles down the road in two
Days they were back in my loft. Now that's a homer
To me.
12 mile! wow anylost?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so what do you mean by training your birds , I mean if they dont fly around chances are that if you take them down the road they wont come back ..but if they do fly around your house at least they have a better chance of coming back from a distance .
i only train one of my black homer from the front of my house to the loft ..... this way of flying the homer cant even see the loft until he is above it .
what do ya think ...kinda risky cause they cant see home, but that the only way i have ...

·
Registered
233 Posts
How old are your birds? If they are 3 months or older they should be loft flying already. If they are 1 to 2 months and are still getting their feet wet then you shouldn't worry. As soon as they start flying they will know home. When they all start loft flying as a group then you can start road training them.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You need to stop giving them open loft, and put them on a schedule, your bird must be either too spoiled or fat that is why they are not flying around your loft. To train your bird you need to have them routing around your loft atleast 2 to 3 months before you start training. I suggest flag them control the feeding ration and make them work before you feed them, never give feed or water outside the loft or your birds will never going to be disciplined enough to folow your call.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts