Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh boy ...

If you want to get into pigeons, please get your set up prepared first, then locate a rescue or wildlife center who have birds with no home.
Noone thinks you are stupid, I am sure you have a good knowledge base and just want to share love with a new pet, but please think about the well being of bird and what's best for it to.
I frankly think this is the best answer you've got.
since you are a teen you should ask for the permission of your parents.
are you sure that pigeon was in the street because members suggested you to contact local rehabers and pigeon people in your area and your answers were like " can I tame him after catching it?"

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Taming an adult feral is almost impossible. They are born wild, and view people as predators normally. If you capture one, he will hate you for taking away his freedom, and probably his mate, and possibly babies. He is wild. That doesn't work. He is already programmed to be free. He wouldn't be happy as a pet, so he wouldn't become tame. You really need to start with a domesticated breed, or a very young bird. Taking a birds freedom from him is not going to make him like you much. That would be mean.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
You have to down load the pic to your PC, then click the Go Advanced and upload from there.

Finding a young bird like that should work for you, when it is old enough to feed it self you need to spend a lot of time with it and get it to eat out of your hand.
Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
he already loves me. He sits on my hand or lap and I have been opening his peak slightly and feeding him seeds form the pigeon food at the petstore. He is also drinking well he is a little scared but he i comfortable with me and after a warm bath he is sparkling clean. He can fly very well but he is bad at landing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a ~3 week old baby who was weaned. Breeder was giving me free pigeons (I needed hens and he needed to downsize.. Such a sweet old man <3 ) and he gave me this squab who was still being fed by parents, but said if I just starve him until he eats he'll be fine. Well a month later, baby is doing great and I'm going to fly him this spring.
So if yours is 3 weeks + it should do fine. Though monitor the weight carefully.
Best of luck... :) sounds like he's a sweety.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
mikis343- YOu can also use a free hosting photo site like Photobucket.....after downloading photos to your computer you can upload them into photobucket, then copy the url onto your message. So how old is this youngster and does he still have the yellow fuzz around his head?? Does he have all the feathers under his wings? Is he eating and drinking on his own? If not you WILL have to handfeed him to make sure he is getting enough. IF you need to handfeed him Kaytee will work well and/or you can use pigeon seeds and/or thawed/warmed frozen peas (easy to feed and rich in protein). I would leave clean water in front of him all the time (in a suitable deep enough container for him to dip his beak into).

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he is old enough to eat solid food, then hand feeding frozen peas which have been defrosted is probably your best option. He will wean more quickly then if you feed him Kay tee for baby birds.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
He already eats by himself. He eats about a handfull a day of seeds from the commercial pigeon food that I got at the petstore. I just put it in at night when he goes to bed and its gone in the morning. I have a water bowl in his cage but I dip his beak in lukewarm water evryday just to make sure he stays hydrated. He is pretty much an adult. He still has the beak of a squab but he has pretty much all his feathers if you look closely you can see some very tiny yellow strands around his neck and his head looks smaller than an adult pigeon's head and i suspect that that it because he dosent have as thick of a layer of feathers yet.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Pigeons that have yellow feathers & squeak are still young, I'd feed him with high nutritional value feed like Defrosted peas as Jay suggested, It will not only fasten his growing but will also keep him hydrated and warm to resist low temperature.

·
Registered
745 Posts
he already loves me. He sits on my hand or lap and I have been opening his peak slightly and feeding him seeds form the pigeon food at the petstore. He is also drinking well he is a little scared but he i comfortable with me and after a warm bath he is sparkling clean. He can fly very well but he is bad at landing.
He is still young and didn't experience or see anything bad and don't know yet what is dangerous or not, It's like saying that Wolves are tame because you have seen a wolf cub that loves and play with humans!

·
Registered
37 Posts
He is still young and didn't experience or see anything bad and don't know yet what is dangerous or not, It's like saying that Wolves are tame because you have seen a wolf cub that loves and play with humans!
Exactly. I found my pigeon just by chance(I wasnt even looking for a new pet, I just wanted to rescue him from cats.) He ran right over to my hand. They're young and don't know danger yet.

I'm glad that you did find a baby that fell and didn't attempt to capture a wild bird. Capturing a wild pigeon isn't any different from capturing any other wild animal. It's not good for the bird and they may get depressed, especially if you separate it from it's mate. It just seems like you were more willing to listen to people who were saying it was possible rather than the people saying it was bad for the bird.
I wish you luck with your current baby. They go through a stage (kinda like humans) where they become rebellious teenagers essentially. So be prepared for that. I didn't know anything about it and suddenly thought my pigeon just hated me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh boy,
Please do not do this. I beg you. Wild pigeons should remain wild. Yes the streets are a cruel life for them, but they also mate for life so you would be taking it away from it's possible family as well as it's choice to be free or not. How about just feeding a wild flock in your backyard?
All pigeon produce their baby feeding milk by the way.
There are hundreds of domestic and crippled ferals needing homes all over the place. Hundreds die in shelters, many more are euthanized because they can't be rehabilitated for release. How about we find you one of these rather than take a healthy wild one away from having a normal life.
As well as a dog cage is not a proper home for a pigeon. Whether it be a large kennel, or small crate. It's not about keeping the bird in, it's about keeping rodents out which requires small mesh wire, solid floors, and weather protection.
If you want to get into pigeons, please get your set up prepared first, then locate a rescue or wildlife center who have birds with no home.
Noone thinks you are stupid, I am sure you have a good knowledge base and just want to share love with a new pet, but please think about the well being of bird and what's best for it to.
Thanks Sunshine, I was just about to comment that pigeons need much more space and if caged, will not be happy. Also, great point in keeping rodents out. A wild pigeon went into my sister-in-laws car, and wouldn't leave space she asked my brother to feed him and caged him. After a few weeks he decided to put him out in the backyard one hot night, and pigeon got shredded in the night. Currently, I have been feeding these wild pigeons in San Francisco, going on 3 years. And when one is old or hurt, you will see bullies come out and jump on the injured one and step on their head.
I saved this one a week ago and I placed him in a safe place but he chose to fly back to his kind and yesterday I saw him again and his neck is now crooked and he walked to next to me and just stayed there. He was limping and neck was crooked. I picked him up and he is in an open box at my place. Hopefully, he get well after some rest so I can release him. A pigeon is a lot of work because it poops a lot but I just can't stand it being unhappy caged or boxed.
Best regards
Love for animals

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have recently gotten into pigeons. Ive been doing alot of research on keeping pigeons as pets. I wanted to know if i could capture an adult feral pigeon and tame it to be a pet. I know it would be easier to take a very young one and tame it but its winter now and most pigeons wont be laying eggs until spring except for the ones that can produce a sort of milk but i doubt ill find any of those. I know a place where a small flock of feral pigeons (oddly enough one of them has a blank ring on its foot) is roosting and I've been leaving food out for them almost daily. They are very shy and will fly away if i get too close but my hope is that they will get used to me leaving the food out and eventually i can do the old box and stick trap and catch an adult. Will the adult pigeon bite me when and if i capture it? and will I ever be able to tame it enough to be a pet? If so, how do I tame it? I don't have a loft or anything fancy i was planning to set up in old dog cage that i have (its big enough). I am not stupid i know alot about animals. I know what im doing. ive been researching pigeon care for weeks, and although this will be my first bird I currently keep and breed reptiles (snakes lizards turtles ect.) and fish and also have raised and orphaned baby rabits until old enough to be realesed. Can someone who knows more about pigeons answer my questions and tell me if i should try this or not.
thanks.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts