Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope you are enjoying the warm weather over there.
Ive been asked by ther Breast Cancer Organisation whether its possible to dye my birds pink for a media launch.
I have a friend that uses red food colouring in the bath water for special events but that would take days to wash off.
Has anyone ever used any other product?
Im quite against this sort of thing however i may be prepared to do it if it was safe and very temporary ie wash off with first bath.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I used blue food colouring on my high flyers so they could blend in with the sky and not get attacked by hawks, it worked. But, it took weeks for the food colouring to come off, I didn't mind it but there probably is something out there that is temporary. A lot of people have asked this question and no one really knows :s because pigeon feathers are oily most of the stuff just drips off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek:
I used blue food colouring on my high flyers so they could blend in with the sky and not get attacked by hawks, it worked. But, it took weeks for the food colouring to come off, I didn't mind it but there probably is something out there that is temporary. A lot of people have asked this question and no one really knows :s because pigeon feathers are oily most of the stuff just drips off.
Thanks Yes, my friend prewashes the birds in a mild soap solution to remove the bloom etc before they have the red rinse.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
875 Posts
try a solution of organic food dye(natural)and water,you may get a nice pink blush colour,not sure how long it takes to get out of feathers though,im sure one can buy stuff from pigeon supllies that people use for ID purposes too

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Ive been asked by ther Breast Cancer Organisation whether its possible to dye my birds pink for a media launch.
I have a friend that uses red food colouring in the bath water for special events but that would take days to wash off.
Im quite against this sort of thing however i may be prepared to do it if it was safe and very temporary ie wash off with first bath.
If you have any reservations whatsoever about 'coloring' your birds, then don't do it.

Cindy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what you could do is make just one pink and let a special person release that one and then release the rest, that way you would'nt have the big job of coloring them all and you have birds you can use for your next event, not sure how to die them either, but if you wanted it wash out, perhaps some dog procucts for groomers would work, I have seen colors for white dogs before here in the US, not sure where you would find it in Aussieland...good luck with your release!!:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what you could do is make just one pink and let a special person release that one and then release the rest, that way you would'nt have the big job of coloring them all and you have birds you can use for your next event, not sure how to die them either, but if you wanted it wash out, perhaps some dog procucts for groomers would work, I have seen colors for white dogs before here in the us, not sure where you would find it in Aussieland...good luck with your release!!:)
Thanks Sue, why didnt I think of that!
Yes ill try dog groomers for a product, even a small vial will do.
Im sure the bird's partner will look at him/her in a new way when its done, that is if I do go ahead. Its in October so ill let you know in due course.
Thanks
Helen

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Im sure the bird's partner will look at him/her in a new way when its done, that is if I do go ahead. Its in October so ill let you know in due course.
Thanks
Helen
your welcome, but Im not Sue:p....it's Michelle:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your welcome, but Im not Sue:p....it's Michelle:D
Sorry Michelle, its late here, 11.44pm Wednesday and im overloaded.
please forgive my stupidity!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes I am a bit worried about the sticky residue of that spray. I use it on my son's hair for discos etc and only rarely cause it is sticky and heavy in the hair. Im worried that the heavy spray will inhibit the birds ability to fly 100%.:eek:
Also, being an artist/paint person, I'd worry about sprays being inhaled.
That can be very bad.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks
Helen
please let us know how it went.;):)

·
Registered
777 Posts
be prepared for it to last a long time...but no harmful side effects! (just embarrassment on the part of the bird if it is a cock...you know, all that talk around the water cooler...cocks can be so mean!:cool:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts