Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always wondering if I could ever fly my birds in the winter. Is it safe to fly birds in the winter? Will there be any hawks attacks? If I can fly the birds in the winter, What temp is the best? Thanks

Scooter.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I dont think its a good idea to fly pigeons in winter cuz thats when most hawk attacks are and the pigeons are not in their best conditions. i dont know if thats true or not but i heard that from alot of people who got pigeons that they dont fly their pigeons at all in winter

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's entirely up to you. I used to a long time ago and had a lot of hawk attacks. Then I stopped. I don't see why you wouldn't fly them though. I think a little exercise and warming up in the winter wouldn't be so bad unless you had predator issues. I'm sure others will have better information.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It depends what kind of winter you have there. I live in Arizona the coldest it gets here is 40 so I fly them all year around, but I bet you will lose some birds to hawks during winter. I think 50-60 degrees is the best temp to fly your birds.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I was always wondering if I could ever fly my birds in the winter. Is it safe to fly birds in the winter? Will there be any hawks attacks? If I can fly the birds in the winter, What temp is the best? Thanks

Scooter.
Where do you live? That would help to answer your question. Where I live I can fly my birds all winter. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
You should fly them if you have the opportunity to do so. As with all of us creatures, exercise is necessary to maintain muscle mass.

·
Registered
803 Posts
So your saying once one hawk hit, never fly them again until spring?
No when your birds get hit multiple times in a row when they are let out during the week thats when its time ,one hit in a weeks time is not bad .Here its around late september that I have to keep mine in or they get hit everytime they are let out .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a friend that live near a huge woods, he told me last fall he lost 15 birds in 3 days. Then he stop flying for awhile, then again lost another 8 the next following week. I was like "OMG" poor birds. He has so many, around 70 at the time, but still it would be hard on me if i lost that many. I love to watch my baby birds grow up and become adult to fly. I always talk to my birds when feeding or checking out the loft to see what up. They get alot calmer when it done that way. They seem to be alot less afraid of me. That is why i hate when the hits comes. Even though I understand it part of nature and I get over it as soon as its finish. I just dont think back about.

Piece to all of your birds this winter guys! I hope it goes well :)

Scooter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
First we need to know what kind of pigeon do you have? Yes during the winter the hawks are more active in hunting, you can fly your birds but not when it gets dark, once the hawk learn your rutine it will keep hanging on till you change your routine, so plan accordingly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have sion strain Homers of all colors, And racing Homers. So your saying in the morning in the winter is the best?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts