Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the banded pigeon I found, I will either have to keep him in a canary cage or in my outdoor flight, I hope he doesn't infect it, seems healthy enough.

Question is: will he get cold? It reaches 15 C here at the moment, maybe down to 10 C. Can I put a box, will he go into it? Can't keep him in the lounge as I have dogs. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
About the banded pigeon I found, I will either have to keep him in a canary cage or in my outdoor flight, I hope he doesn't infect it, seems healthy enough.

Question is: will he get cold? It reaches 15 C here at the moment, maybe down to 10 C. Can I put a box, will he go into it? Can't keep him in the lounge as I have dogs. Any help appreciated.
he can live outside, most do keep pigeons in a loft. the only thing is they need protection from wind and drafts and storms, so he would need a place to roost and stay away from drafts. be sure to quarantine him for a month to make sure he does not have something to pass along to your other birds. 10c is that 50f? that is not real cold so he should be fine if he has a protected area in part of it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spirit wings, you're an angel, thanks for the fast reply. Well we put him in a bathroom with a tea towel, food and water, it's warmer I guess till we either find his owner or find him a good home. I emailed epigeon as he may know how to read the band. It's pink with numbers. I'm afraid to put him in Noddy's flight as it has a ground flooring and won't be able to disinfect it properly.

What breed is he? He's quite tame and very cute. Crop is full and poops are perfect. The thing that concerns me is that he is too plump, pigeons are eaten here.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they eat racing pigeons? because that is what he/she is. looks very healthy by the way.... if you do locate the owner, just ask what will become of the pigeon and if they would cull it ask if you could keep it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, a racing pijjie? Wouldn't have thought, he's very slow and clumsy poor thing. Maybe he's really tired. Will he be okay in the bathroom? It's about 2x3metres sq. Can't keep him though, don't have a cage for him plus he would be alone. Hopefully will be able to find his owner or a good home for him. Thanks again spirit!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just numbers as fas as I can see, we haven't handled him too much as we didn't want to traumatise him. He does look very well cared for.

I was wondering, now that he's rested, do you think if I let him go he will find his way home? Nobody I've emailed has gotten back to me and the only option I can think of is to visit some pigeon fanciers and ask around (not sure I'll get anywhere though). I've called an animal shelter they don't know much about racing pijjies either. Why do racing pijjies get lost and can they find their way back home? His crop was full when I found him so he could have just gotten lost very recently. he was also very clumsy so he might have been very tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts