Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I do it? Bonnie and Claudia (my flightXhomer crosses) are sitting on a pair of roller eggs each. Unfortunately, as I had to get them out of my roller coop a few weeks ago, they are in my kitbox. Last week they had laid their eggs on the floor of the kitbox, and I swapped the eggs out with roller eggs I was given. They've been sitting on the roller eggs for almost a week now. The eggs are in "nests" they made in the hay on the floor of the kitbox.

This past weekend, I picked up a "breeding coop". I would like to move Bonnie and Claudia into the breeding coop so I can start trap training my rollers in the kitbox. I plan on candling the eggs in the next couple of days to see if they are viable. If they are, I don't want to move the birds if it causes them to stop sitting on the eggs.This is where I need some opinions...

If I move the whole mess into the breeding coop, will they continue sitting on the eggs, or will they reject them? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you move them and the nest---they will abandon it.
move them and start over.
The problem is, these eggs were given to me by the roller guy I bought my pigeons from. Not sure he would have more for these pumpers if I dispose of them.

What about if I wait for the babies? Will they continue to take care of the babies if I move them? The eggs have been incubated for six days now, so if viable, should be hatching around August 15th.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
ptras--just wait and hope. -If they hatch good--- if not -then move the pair.
Yes ptras--you are learning that raising pigeons is not easy.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Can I do it? Bonnie and Claudia (my flightXhomer crosses) are sitting on a pair of roller eggs each. Unfortunately, as I had to get them out of my roller coop a few weeks ago, they are in my kitbox. Last week they had laid their eggs on the floor of the kitbox, and I swapped the eggs out with roller eggs I was given. They've been sitting on the roller eggs for almost a week now. The eggs are in "nests" they made in the hay on the floor of the kitbox.

This past weekend, I picked up a "breeding coop". I would like to move Bonnie and Claudia into the breeding coop so I can start trap training my rollers in the kitbox. I plan on candling the eggs in the next couple of days to see if they are viable. If they are, I don't want to move the birds if it causes them to stop sitting on the eggs.This is where I need some opinions...

If I move the whole mess into the breeding coop, will they continue sitting on the eggs, or will they reject them? Thanks in advance for any input.
pigeons do not like change, esp when it comes to their nests. so either let them sit them and move them later or toss the eggs and move them now.. do you know if the eggs were just laid by the rollers, were they even incubated by the original roller pair? if so they may be further along than you think if they are fertile.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Sounds exciting, Ptras!!

Sure would like to know if those eggs are fertile!! Loooking forward to your updates!

Any chance of pictures??

Yes, from all I've heard and read on the site, IF you want those eggs to hatch, please don't move the nest.

Love and Hugs

Shi :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pigeons do not like change, esp when it comes to their nests. so either let them sit them and move them later or toss the eggs and move them now.. do you know if the eggs were just laid by the rollers, were they even incubated by the original roller pair? if so they may be further along than you think if they are fertile.
The four eggs came from two pairs of rollers that my mentor has in his loft. He's trying to cut back on the number of new birds, so he has been removing eggs. These were laid on July 23-26, and all removed prior to being incubated. They were stored in the grain bin until I picked them up on July 28th, and replaced the flightXhomerXroller eggs, which were all laid in the same time-frame.

I am planning on candling the eggs on Wednesday at one week to see if they are viable. If they aren't, I'll just move the birds to the breeding loft. If they are viable, I think I'll let them continue sitting the eggs until they hatch. I expect that I can move them after the babies are a couple weeks old.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The four eggs came from two pairs of rollers that my mentor has in his loft. He's trying to cut back on the number of new birds, so he has been removing eggs. These were laid on July 23-26, and all removed prior to being incubated. They were stored in the grain bin until I picked them up on July 28th, and replaced the flightXhomerXroller eggs, which were all laid in the same time-frame.

I am planning on candling the eggs on Wednesday at one week to see if they are viable. If they aren't, I'll just move the birds to the breeding loft. If they are viable, I think I'll let them continue sitting the eggs until they hatch. I expect that I can move them after the babies are a couple weeks old.

Thanks for the advice.
I candled the eggs, and it looks as if at least three of the four eggs are developing. The fourth one may be also, but it has a poop stain on it that kept me from getting a good view.

So...here's my plan. I'm going to move the whole mess into my new breeding coop this weekend, as I need to reclaim my kit box. If they continue to sit on the eggs - great! If they abandon the eggs, I will toss them and start over. Next week, I'm picking up three additional breeding pairs of rollers from my pigeon guy. I suspect that within a few months, we are going to be rolling in babies/eggs. (Notice the choice of the word "rolling"?) :cool:

I am also going to be getting Bonnie & Claudia's cousins this weekend, so I will have additional pumpers for my breeding coop.

Construction will be starting next weekend on converting the clubhouse to a loft.

I'll let you all know how the move goes.

G

·
personally I feel if you want the eggs to hatch then dont move them but if you dont care then go right ahead as your birds will most likel abandon the eggs if you try and move them :eek:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
personally I feel if you want the eggs to hatch then dont move them but if you dont care then go right ahead as your birds will most likel abandon the eggs if you try and move them :eek:
Right now I'm more invested in getting my kitbox back so I can train my rollers than I am in these eggs hatching. I'm going to move them, and if they sit - it will be bonus. I've already talked to my pigeon guy, and he has plenty of roller eggs for me. If they abandon the eggs, I'll let him know when the pumpers lay again, and will replace the eggs in the proper location.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Right now I'm more invested in getting my kitbox back so I an train my rollers than I am in these eggs hatching. I'm going to move them, and if they sit - it will be bonus. I've already talked to my pigeon guy, and he has plenty of roller eggs for me. If they abandon the eggs, I'll let him know when the pumpers lay again, and will replace the eggs in the proper location.
hey,you never know, sometimes birds will do the opposite of what is expected.. they are funny that way. LOL..

·
Registered
323 Posts

I moved my nest to my new loft and watched for a bout half an hour they didnt even look at it then I moved the nest back and they start sitting on them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...I moved them. They immediately abandoned the eggs, which I don't mind so much, as two of our Birmingham Roller pairs are sitting on eggs now.

My kitbox is empty, cleaned and almost ready for birds to be trained. Just have to finish up the drop trap I'm building.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts