Pigeon-Talk banner

Can I remove the nest?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jay3 
#1 ·
I have a pair that have two week old babies in their nest. They constructed a nest out of pine needles in a disposable nest bowl. By this time the rim of the nest is covered with poop. I've been picking it off when its dry enough. I'm confident they are going to go into a second round of eggs shortly.

Can I remove the nest bowl and nest and replace it with a new bowl and pine needles?

Should I open up another nest box for them?

Should I just do the best to clean it on a daily basis?

Should I just leave them alone?

Should I wait until I wean the babies and then replace it?

I'm looking for some advice. I wouldn't want to live in a pile of poop!

#4 ·
I have a pair that have two week old babies in their nest. They constructed a nest out of pine needles in a disposable nest bowl. By this time the rim of the nest is covered with poop. I've been picking it off when its dry enough. I'm confident they are going to go into a second round of eggs shortly.

Can I remove the nest bowl and nest and replace it with a new bowl and pine needles?

Should I open up another nest box for them?

Should I just do the best to clean it on a daily basis?

Should I just leave them alone?

Should I wait until I wean the babies and then replace

I'm looking for some advice. I wouldn't want to live in a pile of poop!
The cleaning part is needed and should be done, it is the changing of things that can get them out of sorts when the hatchlings are young. so just put the bowl back in the same spot.

#5 ·
I leave everything alone until the babies are up and walking around. I am not sure who is correct. I just figure that this is the way that ferals are raised. I have heard some folks on this site say that their birds seem to be more healthy if they are not cleaning everything all the time. Who knows, maybe there is some pro-biotic effect to leaving some poop around. I think all the cleaning is more important to us than the birds.

#7 ·
Well I clean mine after the first week, and every other day after that, and it doesn't bother the birds. Don't want them covered in droppings. They'd get dirty looking and smell bad.

#9 ·
Even with this kind of nest, I do the same thing. Then I just put back clean straw, make a little indent, and place the babies in it. Have never had any problems.

You are more likely to have problems with the parents abandoning them if you move the nest bowl to a different location, or if at a very young age of the squabs,like just a few days old, you put in a different nest bowl, that they do not recognize. Other than that, you should be safe cleaning it out.

#10 ·
Thank you all for you advice. I went ahead and pulled the nest box. Pulled the bowl out. Cleaned the whole thing. Put shavings in the left side, put the clean bowl with pine needles in the right side, put the babies back in, and everyone appears to be happy...and clean. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.