Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to vaccinate my homers with pmv this weekend but I have one taking antibiotics. Can I vaccinate her?
thanks!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I am planning to vaccinate my homers with pmv this weekend but I have one taking antibiotics. Can I vaccinate her?
thanks!
I don't really know if you can or not, but just to be on the safe side, why not wait for a week or so after she's finished with her meds, and then vaccinate her. The vaccine can be kept for quite a long time in the fridge, so I'd just wait if I was you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you can vaccinate the bird if its on antibiotics
but why is it on them? As only healthy birds should be vaccinated the reason being the immune system has to react by producing antbodies to the organism (or protein in the organism) contained in the vaccine.
If the system is already stressed by some disease then it is theroreticaly less effective at reacting
There is some evidence to suggest that vaccinating birds for PMV that are already ill with it at the 'wet droppings stage' helps shorten the course of the disease
but if nervouse symptoms have already started it has no effect on the outcome
If you feel the birds are at risk from PMV or could already be incubating it then you should vaccinate as soon as possible regardless of any other factors
Birdguy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts