Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Pigeons live on whole corn alone? Can they live on whole corn and wild bird seed? I get four or six ybs' next week, so I want to know what to feed them. I had about 30 racing homers about 25 or 28 years ago and if I remember right, I just feed them whole corn and had no problems. I just want to make sure my new birds are going to eat right. I could use all the help on this topic that I can get. I will have more questions when I get my birds.
I love this site and all the info I can get, its better than a book! Thank you everyone!!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
When my dad had pigeons, all his ate was scratch feed and milo, with some pellets when he could find them. When I started out, all mine ate was scratch feed with wild bird seed sometimes. So yes, they can live on something as simple as that. Pure corn, they'd not be getting all the nutrients they need and the diet wouldn't be very good. Pigeons do like to have a variety of seeds and grains. Right now I feed mine the Brown's pigeon mixes, preferably with popcorn so that all my birds can handle it (I have a few fantails who aren't very big on eating the larger whole corn). If you're going to race, I think you should try to go for mix made for pigeons. But, until you can find/get something like that, a mix of corn and wild bird seed will be okay for now. Not the best, but better than just straight corn or chicken feed like we fed.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you Maryofexeter. Where can you get pigeon mix and how exspensive is it?

·
Registered
935 Posts
You can puchase pigeon feed online, places like TSC (special ordered), and sometimes grain mills.

I know my feed from TSC, costs about $30. Others spend a lot more...

I believe that in order to get an healthy animal/bird, that will live 15+ years, a variety of grain would be the best. Also there is the grit, vitamins, fresh greens, and many other costs.

-Hilly

·
Registered
219 Posts
Didn't some say start your ybs with whole corn so they will get used to eating larger seeds then add milos and others later? My yb ferals can eat 1/2 a peanut and whole corn kernels, but I give them a good mix of seeds. 15% or 16% Protein pigeon mix. It cost about .40 cents/ lbs here. Like they say....You are what you eat!

·
Registered
359 Posts
They'll eat corn if they have nothing else available.Now give them feed with 4-6 different grains,and see what gets left out;).I don't feed my birds corn in the summer.it's good in the winter as it helps keep them warm.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My birds learn to eat the corn and the peas with no problem. I start them on what I expect them to eat throughout the rest of the year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
line of plamenh is most appropriate for is thread

"The same way you can live on hamburgers only, possible, but not good."

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had chickens for a while. I feed tham primarily laying crumbles appropriate for hens. They also get "scratch" which is a blend of wild bird seed, sun flower seeds, millet, sorgum, etc,,, I reserve cracked corn as a treat, like candy. Mainly becuase it's nutritionaly similar to candy they can live on it just like you can live on Snickers bars, but it isn't good for them. In the fall they get extra corn in addition to the other food just to "fatten" them up a bit for the winter. And every so often I buy a block of sod so they get some grass in addition to the weeds, marygolds and spinniach they get.
(wow , I need to get a life...)
My birds get a balanced diet as much as I can provide, not exclusively one thing or another. "Mus hav abalance, grasshopper..."

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cracked corn

I have heard, that cracked corn is bad, because it can scratch their crops. Has anyone else heard that???

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have heard, that cracked corn is bad, because it can scratch their crops. Has anyone else heard that???
I have heard similiar thing... I have also heard that the digestion of crack corn is different, and that it can compact in the crop.

I just use whole corn, or pop corn, type of corn. That way I don't have to worry about it.

-Hilly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts