Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi, yes pigeons see colors. May be corrected, but far as I'm aware they see pretty much what we see. One exception is supposed to be infra-red - least, that's the basis on which we got infra-red bulbs for a heat lamp, so it wouldn't keep them awake.

John

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, pigeons and other birds can see color. Thats why many birds will develop bright colorful plumage for the purposes of attracting a mate :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
color

I was wondering, can Pigeons see colors?
I was wondering the same thing. My thoughts where, why could'nt you use say hunter orange or something bright like that in stead of having to use a dropper (pigeon) to bring your birds down. I would think that if they got used to 2x2 piece of this they could see it much easier then a tiny bird and you where out there moving around they should get the hint? >Kevin

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Birds are said to see in colors + the ultra violet, so it could apply to pigeons also. The number of rods and cones in a bird's eye are much more than that of humans, that means better vision in day and night. Also there something called "oil dropplet" which provides better filtering and hence better recognition of color variances when compared to humans.

This web link provides a reading http://users.mis.net/~pthrush/lighting/cvb.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Today in Bangalore, India we celebrated holi festival. It's a festival of colors(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi). hmmm!!! my face was fully covered with multiple colors. believe me, Benjiro (an Indian fantail) refused to recognize me. She flied away and sat on nabour's terrace for at least an hour. I took my bath and hold Paloma in my hand and called Benjiro. It took another fifteen minutes for her to come back to her box. Hmm Can really pigeons see colors still not sure.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can we say, they can see colors, DID ONE TELL YOU..... LOLsorry, not trying to be a smart A**.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Birds are said to see in colors + the ultra violet, so it could apply to pigeons also. The number of rods and cones in a bird's eye are much more than that of humans, that means better vision in day and night. Also there something called "oil dropplet" which provides better filtering and hence better recognition of color variances when compared to humans.

This web link provides a reading http://users.mis.net/~pthrush/lighting/cvb.html
I agree with the better day vision but I question the night vision because my birds seem completely blind in the dark. I can pick them up from one spot and put them in another and they don't move an inch....:D

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
They can see color much better then man,I have known guys that painted orange circles on the roof of their racing loft so the birds can see it from far off. The US COAST GUARD used pigeons in a test program to rescue people that were ship wreacked.The birds were trained to pick people that were waring life jackets that were colored with the color INTERNATIONAL ORANGE, the birds proved better at it then the humans that were flying the helocopters.The program was ended when congress cut the funds for the test program. There have been threads about this rescue program posted from time to time. The mobile lofts used by the USArmy had different circles or triangles painted on them.These combat molbile loft moved with the front line troops so the birds had to be trained to find there home loft after it was moved and that could be 20 or more miles so these things were painted in different colors on the loft roofs. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks George, good reading and nice to hear form you!! I always like hearing from you!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
They can see color much better then man,I have known guys that painted orange circles on the roof of their racing loft so the birds can see it from far off. The US COASE GUARD used pigeons in a test program to rescue people that were ship wreacked.The birds were trained to pick people that were waring life jackets that were colored with the color INTERNATIONAL ORANGE, the birds proved better at it then the humans that were flying the helocopters.The program was ended when congress cut the funds for the test program. There have been threads about this rescue program posted from time to time. The mobile lofts used by the USArmy had different circles or triangles painted on them.These combat molbile loft moved with the front line troops so the birds had to be trained to find there home loft after it was moved and that could be 20 or more miles so these things were painted in different colors on the loft roofs. GEORGE;)
+1

I've also seen a segment on tv about a scientific experiment on pigeons,in which it had to peck on a certain color dot,in order for the food to be released or something like that.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, color and UV. The UV is how birds can tell each other apart and become more attracted to one than another. Like to us, two male cardinals look the same. But in UV, one may be more attractive.

And of course they can't see perfectly in the dark. The only animals that can see enough to get around, are those with very big pupils. But even they can't see in complete darkness.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. My thoughts where, why could'nt you use say hunter orange or something bright like that in stead of having to use a dropper (pigeon) to bring your birds down. I would think that if they got used to 2x2 piece of this they could see it much easier then a tiny bird and you where out there moving around they should get the hint? >Kevin
It isn't that the birds are trained to trap when they see a dropper. It's the fact that seeing a bird on the roof not getting attacked by a hawk, lets them know it's safe to come down. That hesitation after seeing several hawks on the way home can really tack some time on the clock.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
It isn't that the birds are trained to trap when they see a dropper. It's the fact that seeing a bird on the roof not getting attacked by a hawk, lets them know it's safe to come down. That hesitation after seeing several hawks on the way home can really tack some time on the clock.
You are one smart cookie!...;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Actually competition tipplers are trained to land when you let your droppers out.In early training droppers are released hungry,and some food is tossed out to let the droppers eat,so when the yb see that they know that it's time to land,thus food time.

Another reason they're white or mainly white is that they're better seen at night than different colors:).

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Actually competition tipplers are trained to land when you let your droppers out.In early training droppers are released hungry,and some food is tossed out to let the droppers eat,so when the yb see that they know that it's time to land,thus food time.

Another reason they're white or mainly white is that they're better seen at night than different colors:).
Great addition Birdman!, but I had to give Becky credit for her insight on the hawk thing....:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Also there are a lot of flyers in my area,and if we see strange birds flying,droppers are coming out to try to lure the bird to come down:D.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts