Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a serious question - can 2 male pigeons be mates? I'm pretty sure that one of my mated pairs are both males. I've actually witnessed them mating and they build nests together.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep :) It's happened to a lot of us here. Two hens can also mate up, in which you'd find a nest with 4 eggs!

·
Registered
441 Posts
As far as I know, I don't see a problem with it. They will just be best buds. :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I had a pair of male ringneck doves. They built nests together, and performed all of the mating behaviors together too.

One of them eventually left the other for a hen. But they were a sweet couple for a year or so.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Dom and Gimie were "mates" for awhile after I brought them home. I didn't know, at the time, that they were BOTH males. Thought Gimie was a Checker hen.

Then came the day that Gimie met my West of England Tumbler hen, WoeBeGone! Love at first sight for both and that left Dom as odd pij out!!

While all three exercise out at the same time, Gimie has to protect Woe at times because Dom will attack her. He still wants to be buds with Gimie. Gimie tolerates Dom but will sometimes peck him hard. Was a time that Dom looked like a refugee from a pigeon prison camp...until he finally grew back feathers! 'Course some of the loss was also molt induced... :rolleyes:

Fortunately, Woe can get away from Dom under my bed where Dom doesn't follow!

Then, there is Mr. Squeaks, who I keep separate from ALL! He's KING and will barely tolerate Gimie and Woe but sees Dom as the ENEMY and attacks the minute he sees him!

:rolleyes: *sigh* life with pigeons...:D Never many dull moments!

Love and Hugs
Shi and the gang :)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Never a dull moment here either: I have twinkle toes and tulip out in the loft now and they are both males and protecting their nest box and they both ganged up together and threw the former nest box holder out he continually defends his nest area on the right side of the nest box (two nest box that they can go from side to another by way of the back of the box) and tulip decides he likes him better and leaves twinkle toes who then pick a fight with speckles and it becomes a free for all--right now I have twinkle toes in my house for a time out and these games go on and on and sometimes even wears me out...and sometimes the women on the other side of the loft are no better so my household you see is busy too but I would not have it no other way...I enjoy my pigeons...

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
This is a serious question - can 2 male pigeons be mates? I'm pretty sure that one of my mated pairs are both males. I've actually witnessed them mating and they build nests together.
Yes, it's happened before, and actually the males made excellent parents when given a couple of fertile eggs to hatch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts