Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, about 2 weeks ago my mum found a small pigeon that had been hit by a car they have been nursing it since it is doing well except it cant fly it may have a damaged wing. It is missing a lot of feathers on its back we live in Bondi Nsw and my parents are not able to keep it. I called the RSPCA and they said they are feral and it is illegal to re-release so she must be put down. We are struggling with this and am finding it hard to get any info on any adoption or illegal adoption places, can someone help us for we do not want to end her life it is realyy a gentle little thing.
Thanks desperate (erika)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Erika,

Thank you for your kindness shown to this bird. The RSPCA is not a "friend" to our noble ferals.

We do have members in the UK that may be able to guide you in finding some help for this bird, hopefully they will be on soon. Please don't allow anyone to put the bird down, they usually haven't a clue about pigeons-(their needs, habits, or intelligence).

Here is a thread about RSPCA for our UK members:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f47/rspca-wildlife-policy-uk-members-please-read-this-34863.html

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Well, we do have a very few members from Australia, but where they are precisely I don't know. Just hope one notices the 'Bondi Nsw' part.

http://www.fauna.org.au/Fauna_S1.asp?State=NSW

Is the only link I can find for NSW generally for rescue organizations, and I have obviously no idea where they are in NSW. If any of them are near you, check if they will look after pigeons and not just put them down.

Pigeons can be lovable little companions in a safe household - plenty of people on here have adopted disabled birds - so it really is a shame if you cannot keep this one.

John

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
If you can keep the bird for just a bit longer, we can make an appeal to find a home for the bird. It may take a bit though. It's unfair and unkind to put it down because it is a pigeon.
I glad you contacted us.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for being this pigeon's advocate and taking care of him. Of course he deserves to live, and not die due to some bureaucracy's foolish decision on which lives are valuable. :rolleyes: Please do keep him until we can help find a home for him. Even if you are able to keep him in a smaller cage, with a few hours a day to fly around a room or large bathroom, that would be fine for a bit. Thanks again to you and your mum for saving his life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.