Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NPA NEP 12 54

I have contacted the National Pigeon Association and they have no idea who owns the beautiful pigeon that has made friends with my family. The bird showed up at my house on Thursday the 29 th. It was very friendly and allowed us to hold and pet it. It was gone the next morning but It reappeared the next afternoon and has been perched on my windowsill all evening. I've given it water and uncooked rice, but no bird food, as I don't have it.

Does anyone have ideas as to where it came from or suggestions as to what to do with it? I am a loss.

Thank you- Megan

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You need get this bird contained as it is vulnerable to predator attack. It is used to being housed and fed, it is not wild, and it cannot be rescued until contained.

Here is the NPA link on what to do when finding a lost bird and locating owner with band info, if you have not seen it. If its home cannot be found you can post it in the adoption forum, but without containing the bird nothing can be done.

http://npausa.com/foundpigeon.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I have contacted the NPA, as I said, and they cannot help me locate the bird's owner. I've had many suggestions as to whether I should keep it in a cage or let it fly free. Some websites said that the bird Might just need a respite for a couple days, before heading home, and to leave it be.

Can anyone make sense of the band on it's leg?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Have you posted all the letters and numbers on the band, is there anything missing?

The bird needs human intervention. Yes, it does need to rest and regain strength and brought inside a dog carrier or cage. It needs at least a wild bird seed with some nutrients in it as rice by itself will not help for it to regain its strength. Also it possibly needs to be checked out by rehabber to make sure it isn't sick.

The link actually has great info caring for a lost bird, on feeding and watering the bird, not just locating the owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are the only markings on the band. Nothing is left off, which is why, it seems, no one can identify the owner. :( I've bought it some bird seed and it ate a generous amount. It has a cozy spot on my deck now. I will be speaking with the Animal Care Alliance again on Monday, if it hasn't left. I know it needs to be cared for, and I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well the bird is hawk bait if he is left outside. He doesn't have a clue about surviving in the wild, and a hawk will eventually pick him off, if not some other predator. He is not safe out there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Please get the bird contained. Not all pigeons have the ability to fly home if they are lost. You could have a lost show bird. could you also post a picture? I have been missing some birds for some time now. I am in michigan.

·
Registered
500 Posts
& yes the bird will be hawk, or owl food if you don't cage him right away. if you can't locate an owner, & you can't keep him, someone on here would probably take him. A dog or small animal cage will do, as long as it cannot escape from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.