maybe he learned how to play dead
I once seen a video on tv of a dog chasing a duck
the duck stopped and played dead just like that dove did
the dog figured it wasnt fun chasing a dead duck so it left
the duck then got up and walked away LOL

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
What do you want explained? The bird is playing dead obviously........don't know what else to tell ya......

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay ... I've never seen a bird play dead.

I know that they will act wounded, so as to get the attention of a predator such as a cat, and draw it away from the nest.

My brother can hold his quaker parrot on his wrist, flip it upside down for a few seconds.

But to play dead ... seems too vulnerable a position to be in. I thought the bird was dead.

Larry

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, I'm glad that the bird isn't dead and I'm glad that "Victor" isn't dead.....honestly.....that was what caught my attention and my heart fell for a second or two...........WHEW!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Victor he is playing with you! yes they play like that sometimes. My little one winged Sparrow plays goofy like that. Nothing to worry about though.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
My son has put Skye on his back, on his hand or in his cubby, and he will lay there like he is dead and won't even move.

He was able to hold him this way because the Skye trusts us and has no fear, and he would stay upside down for a long time, IF I didn't interfere but I made him quit doing it, as I feared it would cause him harm.

I did this with one of my pet pigeons as a child,.... even the ants began to walk on him.
:eek:

I don't recommend or advise any one try this at all AND especially if the bird has just eaten and has any food/water in the crop. PLEASE, just wanted to share.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts