Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to check all four of my pigeons down in the rectum and sex organ area... Is it possible to sex a bird by checking this area? Would someone mind explaining what the area down there should look like and how it functions? We could sex our chickens by checking for an egg vent. I'm just wondering if pigeons are the same "down there". :D Sorry, but I don't know how else to put it. I've been reading like a mad-woman and can't find anything in the book about it.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I was able to check all four of my pigeons down in the rectum and sex organ area... Is it possible to sex a bird by checking this area? Would someone mind explaining what the area down there should look like and how it functions? We could sex our chickens by checking for an egg vent. I'm just wondering if pigeons are the same "down there". :D Sorry, but I don't know how else to put it. I've been reading like a mad-woman and can't find anything in the book about it.
I've heard that you can check the vent of baby pigeons, around 3 or 4 days old and if the vent is "smiling" (upturned a bit) then it's one sex and if it's "frowning" (downturned a bit) it's the other sex. I forget which is which. Believe me, if we could sex a grown pigeon by looking at it's butt, no one would ever wonder if a pigeon is a male or female.
The other way that I explained seems like a lot of trouble to go through to me. If the bird is around long enough, you eventually figure it out and when you're talking about someone who raises 50 to 100 or even more babies every year (not me, but some people do), who's got time to check them all, mark it down and keep it all straight? Especially considering that the bird isn't banded yet at that age and two baby pigeons for the most part look just alike at that age...........haven't ever needed to know the sex of a particular bird that bad.
Bottom line is, in 1000's of years, no one has ever figured out an easy way to sex a pigeon. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know from rehab and checking and then having babies (Mourning Doves) that you can manually compare both birds. Obviously you have to have 2 birds to compare at least. Females have wider distance from edge to edge when you palpate pubis area (You feel for bones) compare with males , for egg passing in future. Pretty much like with chickens.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The method Renee suggested re checking babies butts is quite accurate - cocks smile:) and hens frown.:( Of course, this has to be done in the nest before the feathers cover the area.;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, do the parents allow you to look at the baby?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So, do the parents allow you to look at the baby?
Most of them........no, they don't "allow" you to even THINK about looking at their babies. If you REALLY want to see the babies, you just have to be careful, but firm and take them out and look at them. I've got a few pair who will allow me to touch the babies, but the majority of them pitch a fit, wing slapping and carrying on and if you're not careful, the babies can get injured, so I basically check to make sure the baby has hatched ok and is alive and leave them alone until I band them. If I catch them feeding the babies, then I don't even look at them. If they're feeding them, then they're ok.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so if you have two babies, one a "smile" and one a "frown"..how would you know who was who at weaning....unless you marked them somehow....they are not like puppies and kittens..:p..lol....I "rectum" I will not be doing this...lol....:D:D

·
Registered
822 Posts
How about banding on the left leg if it's a smile and right leg if it's a frown?
I was going to test this theory with this years young but kept forgetting when it came to banding!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
How about banding on the left leg if it's a smile and right leg if it's a frown?
I was going to test this theory with this years young but kept forgetting when it came to banding!
by the time you band them they are 7 or 8 days old...can you still see the smile/frown then?....if you tried to band a color band on them at 3 days it would fall off or mom and dad would take it off....ummmm

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm getting the biggest kick out of this thread and I just wanted you to know:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yea, it kinda makes you want to SMILE...he he.....Im glad Im a smile and not a frown...not that there is anyting wrong with a frown...sometimes they are needed...lol...:D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
by the time you band them they are 7 or 8 days old...can you still see the smile/frown then?....if you tried to band a color band on them at 3 days it would fall off or mom and dad would take it off....ummmm
To be honest, I've never flipped them over to look at their cute little butts, so I have no idea how it would change, if at all, in a few days. Anyway......it's MUCH more fun to watch them grow up and THEN figure out what sex they are, and write it down with a pencil so that it can be erased and changed a dozen times before the final verdict is in.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I know from rehab and checking and then having babies (Mourning Doves) that you can manually compare both birds. Obviously you have to have 2 birds to compare at least. Females have wider distance from edge to edge when you palpate pubis area (You feel for bones) compare with males , for egg passing in future. Pretty much like with chickens.
Sometimes fanciers will feel the vent bones to TRY to determine the sex of a grown bird, but most fanciers want a bird with a "tight" vent, and some males don't have as tight a vent as the next one, and some hens have very tight, close vents, so that's not always a way to tell.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One guy I know looks at the feet to sex. He swears that pigeons are similar to humans as in the females two forward outside toes are even and then males are uneven. Does that make sense? Or something like that... I never did understand, but he picked my birds. I guess we'll see if he's right when/if they breed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We'll I needed to know! :p Who else was I going to ask?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Maybe you could paint a toe nail if it's a girl? Make sure you use a pretty color or they might not like it and peck it off. :D

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Two "experts" disputing the sex of a pigeon

Hello Moonshadow,

a couple of years ago at a local weekly (Sunday morning) pigeon and small animal market, two prospective Turkish buyers were studying the feet of a pigeon, and disputing the claim of the German seller that the pigeon they were holding was female. He said he knew his birds, and that this particular pigeon had raised a couple of the other pigeons in the crate from eggs she laid.

He didn't argue the issue further with them. I didn't study the feet or get more involved in the issue, since I wasn't buying. (I had gone there to find out more about pigeons and how to care for rescues). I don't think the guys purchased the pigeon, though.

Larry

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
One guy I know looks at the feet to sex. He swears that pigeons are similar to humans as in the females two forward outside toes are even and then males are uneven. Does that make sense? Or something like that... I never did understand, but he picked my birds. I guess we'll see if he's right when/if they breed.
Oh yes, indeed...I have heard and seen this. A few years ago, when Cindy and I went to the State Fair, we talked to one of the judges who showed us this method.

When I first got Squeaks and had a racing pigeon person examine him, he, too, used the "toes method" and said I had a male. Of course, I thought I had a male too, but was only going by my "gut instinct." And, Mr. Squeaks certainly IS 100% MALE! :rolleyes:

Have also heard something about the shape of the cere of the eye: round is hen; more "tear" shaped: male.

Also, I have a tri-color (a.k.a. Tortoiseshell) West of England Tumbler who is a hen. Now, in cats, tri-colors are female. Extremely rare to see a tri-color tom and they could be sterile. Maybe with WOEs, this tri-coloring could be true??

Hugs
Shi

P.S. WoeBeGone's story will be posted soon...with pictures...;) :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts