Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lee here,
I have used bleach for years in their drinking water as well as in the bath if you feel it isnt safe for your birds then dont use it . I just read a report that bleach is safer than mouth wash so guess ya can find anything if ya look hard enough. I also use blueing in their bath water before weddings and funerals it causes the feathers to shine with whiteness ...I never use sevin powder or other chemicals for mites and so on as the bleach does the trick. There is a report written by a VDR on bleach ill post it if i can find it ... just some of my ideas

·
Registered
3 Posts
sexing etc.

I was shown that the cocks have a heavier beak and the hens a longer but narrower one. I had them for a good year before I could spot it but it works for me. Also on a whim I sent for a sex indicator from Foy's pigeon supply and figured I was a chump when I got a little magnet shaped like an arrow on a string. But I followed the directions and it works! The squabs all grew into the sex that the indicator fortold. The adults I allready figured i knew from the beaks, and all of the behaviors you all have mentioned, so I felt I would predjudice the result.
My birds all love their bath, I probobly only give them one every couple weeks, less in severe weather. But I agree they seem to know when they need one. If I give them one too often only a few will avail themselves of it.
I let my birds free fly regularly, I open them in the AM and he closes them at night. I have seen the birds find a puddle in the ice on sunny days and bathe in that! I'm afraid they will chill out but they seem fine. So what temp should I use for baths? Also I've never noticed them stink either, could the smell be an underventilated loft?

·
Registered
318 Posts
The surest way is just study the birds that you know are cocks and hens. Not only are there certain pysical features but hens have thier own facial exspression as do the the cocks. With my breed cocky cocks are not an asset and many of the good ones won't drive until they are put into stock, that is if they make it there, but I can still tell them apart. you just gotta learn to read the bird. But yes I can still be fooled at times as some cocks are just so henny.
Scott

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bleach

The bleach article was nice, thanks! I'd heard of using bleach but I wasn't quite sure how.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
ACV in drinking water

I put a drop of ACV per ounce in all my birds drinking water. I know it's good for my parrots but could it have any ill effects on my pidgie pal? :confused:

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Acv

It won't harm the pigeon, actually it's good for them.
I give them once a week ACV.

Reti

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey!
I got the same question.
i had 2 baby pigeons..
one is 7 months old now and by the cooing im guessing its a male..and plus its large in shape like his dad.
the 4 month old pigeon coos around his mother, now i know thats a male because of the cooing around a female pigeon.

okay the 7 month old pigeon is large in shape and coos like a male, but today i saw the dad mating with the 7 month old pigeon..i was surprised to see this.
the 7 month old pigeon never cooed around his/her mother.
can you please help me with this..do males mate together?

·
Registered
97 Posts
But will they continuosly mate over and over again as if they're pairs?..

The one i know that is a boy he calls the other pigeon to the nest i built.
IM CONFUSED!! please help!...When he/she coos he/she sounds like a male but he/she never chased other females before.

okay i get that males do mate, but is it continously??
can you please give me tips on how i can check if its a male or a female.
im trying to sell the male along with a different female but i dont know what pigeon to buy( im talking about gender of the pigeon i wanna buy) since i dont know the gender of the 7 month old pigeon.

PLEASE help me! give me your best information and tips
THANKS!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if it lays eggs then you will know for sure, that is the only 100% way to know if it is a hen. if it does not lay eggs it could be a male.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am having some pigeons which I do not know the gender and I am new to pigeon raising. please tell me the signs of female and male so that I can breed. it looks like all pigeons that I have are cooing

21 - 33 of 33 Posts