Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldnt find any info on this particular question. A pair of my birds are on their 3rd attempt at producing offspring. The first was back in february when we had a heat wave and within 2 weeks the temps outside dropped back to frigid. They ended up kicking the 2 eggs out of the nest.

The second attempt produced only 1 egg which I found once again at the door to the coop after 2 weeks of them sitting on it.

Now, this 3rd attempt yeilded 2 eggs, one of which was kicked from the nest at about day 6 or 7. ( not sure of lay date ).

So I decided that I should try to candle the remaining 1 egg to see if its even viable. Im assuming its about day 7-10. When candled the egg was clearly full of liquid and the air pocked moved around as I carefully rotated the egg.

Is this normal for the air pocket to move?

I also didnt notice any veins present. Im under the assumption that the veins are as visible after the first week.

This is my first year with breeding so please forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You need a nest bowl deep enough and maybe more straw that they can't kick the eggs out
sky tx,

This is so very true, ecspecialy for breeds that have feathered feet.

Brewmeister what breed of bird our you talking about?

Walter <><

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I know it is hard to know how a fertile egg may look ... but you would know at 7 days, you can see the red veins well.. did you use a small powerful flash light in a dark room or in a dark spot in the loft? I think the air pocket does move a bit, but that is not what your looking for.. the veins and embryo are pretty clear.. once you see a fertile one you will beable to tell on all your others. as far as this pair goes.. have you thought about fostering their egg under another pair.. that is if you truely want to breed this pair the extra pair for foster their eggs would be worth the effort, if they are not good breeders and do not pay attention to their eggs. I have a pair of jacobins like that, she will lay her eggs and both the cock and hen totally ingore them... not sure why, but if I wanted young from this pair I woud have to put her eggs under a foster pair.. I don't because perhaps their young would be bad breeder too and I just do not need anymore jacobins right now so I just let them ignore the poor eggs untill they crack one and then I will take them out of the box and she will lay again in a month or so, very strange how some just do not treat their eggs as other do. as schrees says perhaps it is not them but something else going on in the loft your not aware of? I would investigate the opinions and ideas folks are telling you. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts